Notices

Painted Aluminum Trailer?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Aluminum Trailer?

I have a Load Master I-Beam Trailer and. while i know they are good, and last if dipping in salt, or whatever.

They are ugly in comparison to a painted to match steal one.

SO what do you guys think about taking one, and doing a acid base primer, sealer, base coat, and a clear coat on it? Making it match the boat? ever seen a painted aluminum one?

This is my boat. I am thinking yellow trailer, with a black pin strip, and some different wheels. BUT I am not sure how hard it will be to find a matching yellow? so may have to do black?

thoughts?

Last edited by mittens; 03-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Manning and Myco both offer this on their aluminum trailers. They look fantastic.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is something I considered for my trailer before I wound up selling it. I went to a local Galvanizer and Industrial coatings place. In my case it was Duncan Galv. just outside Boston. I was told they could take the frame rails( after taken apart that is) acid bath the parts, prep and coat with a bad ass industrial coating ( which only these big companies can get) in a few different colors. They charge by weight when you bring in the parts. 6 yrs ago 5-700$ rings a bell. I'd be willing to bet If I tried to do it in my yard, after doing a crappy prep job I would pay 350-400 on paint supplies anyways. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree nothing like a color matched trailer. I dont see why you couldnt do it. As far as matching the paint if the automotive paint supply place doesnt have a chip to match (<what I did to match the trailer paint to the purple stripes on the new trailer I had built) they will send over their guy and he will put a device on top of the paint you want to match, he will press the button and the device will spit out a paint formula for an exact match. Thats what I did when I made a new metal glovebox door and wanted it to match the off white Fountain gel on the rest of the dash, worked great. They can match anything these days.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 03-25-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bwd
Here is something I considered for my trailer before I wound up selling it. I went to a local Galvanizer and Industrial coatings place. In my case it was Duncan Galv. just outside Boston. I was told they could take the frame rails( after taken apart that is) acid bath the parts, prep and coat with a bad ass industrial coating ( which only these big companies can get) in a few different colors. They charge by weight when you bring in the parts. 6 yrs ago 5-700$ rings a bell. I'd be willing to bet If I tried to do it in my yard, after doing a crappy prep job I would pay 350-400 on paint supplies anyways. Just my thoughts.

Well I got a buddy that will do the acid base primer, sealer, base coat, and a clear coat for 300 including paint, and black pin stripping.

SO this may get done.... just need to find the other 4 wheels I am looking for.

Bullet hole 14 inch ford ranger wheels, to replace the steelys.

just have not seen any I beams painted, so did not know what someone would think later on for resale..
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered

I know Velocity puts a lot of aluminum powder coated trailers under their boats. Check out their site and link to the used boats section if you want to see some pics.
http://www.velocityboats.com/
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
bwd
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
Well I got a buddy that will do the acid base primer, sealer, base coat, and a clear coat for 300 including paint, and black pin stripping.

SO this may get done.... just need to find the other 4 wheels I am looking for.

Bullet hole 14 inch ford ranger wheels, to replace the steelys.

just have not seen any I beams painted, so did not know what someone would think later on for resale..
Sounds like a fair deal. The reason I looked into it is I saw one painted so I got to thinkin. AS always , its all in the prep.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered

Before I sold mine I was going to polish the top rail and paint the inside section of the I-Beam to match the boat.

Pete
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I did mine last year. Stripped it to bare rails and soda blasted it first to help the etch primer stick. Also a lot faster than sanding and allows a bit of clean up and de-burring on the edges etc.

Be warned, you get the bug and go crazy. I think the only original thing left on mine ended up being the perimeter I-beam rails. Lol.

Here's a couple pics. For some reason right now I can't find any of it finished. I'll try to dig some out.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Aluminum Trailer?-boat-trailer-assembly.jpg   Painted Aluminum Trailer?-boat-trailer-fenders.jpg