Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
DPF EGR Tuner Questions - Ford 6.4 >

DPF EGR Tuner Questions - Ford 6.4

Notices

DPF EGR Tuner Questions - Ford 6.4

Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts
Default DPF EGR Tuner Questions - Ford 6.4

Alright, someone make me smart.

I think when the warranty is up (or before if I find one at the right price) I am going to lean towards the H&S mini maxx.

Couple Questions;

1 - Do ALL the H&S Mini Maxx tuners (that aren't the "street version") have both DPF AND EGR delete?
2 - Why do some come with a Pyro Kit? I know that when used on the Ford they can measure EGT's from the PCM, but is that an accurate measurement or is that a measurement from within the EGR system that will get eliminated with the delete kit?
3 - When ordering a DPF delete pipe do I need a bung? I assume I do if I run the Pyro? Of course that harks back to question 2.
4 - There seems to be a difference in discussion between blocking off the EGR and Deleting all the hardware. What is the benefit of deleting the hardware all together? If you just block it off is there still unwanted coolant flow through the system that is detrimental?

FINAL question - I know the XRT Pro doesn't have monitoring capabilities but does it have Defuel options like the Mini Maxx?? Can it monitor and clear engine codes?

I liken all of this to a Transom Assembly breakdown - all the information and forum posts can be a little overwhelming until you go through it once and realize how simple it is.

My enthusiasm is getting a little ahead of my pocket book but that's okay......
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Alright, someone make me smart.

I think when the warranty is up (or before if I find one at the right price) I am going to lean towards the H&S mini maxx.

Couple Questions;

1 - Do ALL the H&S Mini Maxx tuners (that aren't the "street version") have both DPF AND EGR delete?
2 - Why do some come with a Pyro Kit? I know that when used on the Ford they can measure EGT's from the PCM, but is that an accurate measurement or is that a measurement from within the EGR system that will get eliminated with the delete kit?
3 - When ordering a DPF delete pipe do I need a bung? I assume I do if I run the Pyro? Of course that harks back to question 2.
4 - There seems to be a difference in discussion between blocking off the EGR and Deleting all the hardware. What is the benefit of deleting the hardware all together? If you just block it off is there still unwanted coolant flow through the system that is detrimental?

FINAL question - I know the XRT Pro doesn't have monitoring capabilities but does it have Defuel options like the Mini Maxx?? Can it monitor and clear engine codes?

I liken all of this to a Transom Assembly breakdown - all the information and forum posts can be a little overwhelming until you go through it once and realize how simple it is.

My enthusiasm is getting a little ahead of my pocket book but that's okay......
They cant sell anything but street tuners now unless you can find the right connection , and xrts you do not have defuel protection , if its a 6.4 you already have a factory pyro , its going to be expensive but worth it in the long run . you dont need any bungs that would be post turbo anyways , worthless .and yes the xrt can clear and monitor codes . XRt is the simplest it will take you longer to do the download than cut the exhaust and put a pipe in , you will also want to put an air intake kit in with the stock set up and a new filter it will suck the air filter monitor in right from the getgo it needs alot more air . Let me know if you are interested in one , non street .

Last edited by 575cat; 03-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Registered

H&S no longer sells anything but the street tuning tuners now. The EPA steped in and is hammering most of these companies. So basically you cant get anything but the street tuner.

The last of the non street tuners are probably gone, a few pop up every once and awhile. But people are paying a lot of money for them used.

The pyro kit is a really nice thing to have but you can put one of those in at anytime. Not sure where the Ford actually takes it reading but you want the pyro in the manifold.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
H&S no longer sells anything but the street tuning tuners now. The EPA steped in and is hammering most of these companies. So basically you cant get anything but the street tuner.

The last of the non street tuners are probably gone, a few pop up every once and awhile. But people are paying a lot of money for them used.

The pyro kit is a really nice thing to have but you can put one of those in at anytime. Not sure where the Ford actually takes it reading but you want the pyro in the manifold.
They are all over ebay brand new in box. Appears the vendors stocked up on them before the EPA crackdown.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
They are all over ebay brand new in box. Appears the vendors stocked up on them before the EPA crackdown.
Buy one! Still need the delete stuff also...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Just need about a 60 inch piece of 3.5 pipe and the exhaust is done , depending on cab length .
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I did the H&S on a 6.4 f 450
No mileage improvement
Smoked big time
I took it all off and put the dpf back on
Lesson learned!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
No mileage improvement
Smoked big time
Lesson learned!!
yes something went way wrong there , should have consulted them , every one I have done turned out great .
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I did! Had the lowest smoke setting, still billowing when trailering
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
No mileage improvement
Smoked big time
Lesson learned!!
You did something wrong or the tune was incorrect.... we've had 6.4 and 6.7 trucks tuned/dpf delete etc, all saw nice mpg increase (let alone power). No F-450, but a friend did his and saw a big improvement especially in mpg on that truck.

These trucks all run better/smoother tuned then from the factory (that goes for Dodge and GM as well), even lower egts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.