Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil? >

Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil?

Notices

Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil?

I have new external water pickups and new oil cooler heat exchangers. When they installed the water pickups and sea stainer, there was no pressure release valve installed. Both engines have water in the block now. The shop thinks the water got into the block through the heat exchanger because there was too much water pressure. Is that possible with heat exchangers and pressure?

Last edited by UrbanDisturbance; 04-04-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

im assuming you mean water in the oil,it could be leaking from a cooler or if the water pressure is to high it could be entering from the head gasgets,you need to install a water pressure gage and check how much water pressure you have.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I know this sounds pretty stupid but I'll be they got a hose crossed somewhere? Have you double checked their work?

Last edited by Aasved; 04-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

NO!..the water pressure would have to be stronger then the oil pressure going through the cooler..if it were sitting still with water and the engine were off then it would seep into the cracked cooler other wise if the cooler were ruptured you would see oil in the water behind the boat coming out of the exhaust after it went through your engine..suspect if you have high water pressure and the engines have not froze and cracked it most likely a bad intake manifold gasket,,, especially if it a salt water boat..
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
NO!..the water pressure would have to be stronger then the oil pressure going through the cooler..if it were sitting still with water and the engine were off then it would seep into the cracked cooler other wise if the cooler were ruptured you would see oil in the water behind the boat coming out of the exhaust after it went through your engine..suspect if you have high water pressure and the engines have not froze and cracked it most likely a bad intake manifold gasket,,, especially if it a salt water boat..
I agree. If everything was cool until you installed new water pickups, my guess would be too much water PSI, blowing past the intake gaskets. Ive seen aluminum intakes so badly corroded from salt, there wasn't really anything left for the gasket to seal on against the head.

How far do your water pickups extend below the running surface?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

They suspect the water slipped past the aluminum intake manifold when I had too much water pressure. It is being checked and they are installing pressure release valves and hooking up my water pressure gauges. They should have done that the 1st time......

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I agree. If everything was cool until you installed new water pickups, my guess would be too much water PSI, blowing past the intake gaskets. Ive seen aluminum intakes so badly corroded from salt, there wasn't really anything left for the gasket to seal on against the head.

How far do your water pickups extend below the running surface?
you both know this isn't correct. if there is a crack anywhere in the system, water just seeps into the oil either running or otherwise. certainly the oil end up in the water faster when its running but it goes the other way as soon as it get hot or is stopped. his cooler could easily be doing this but thats only one of a dozen places it could be. of all of them, the cooler is the easiest to pressure test in about 10 minutes.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you both know this isn't correct. if there is a crack anywhere in the system, water just seeps into the oil either running or otherwise. certainly the oil end up in the water faster when its running but it goes the other way as soon as it get hot or is stopped. his cooler could easily be doing this but thats only one of a dozen places it could be. of all of them, the cooler is the easiest to pressure test in about 10 minutes.
Im not sure what you're suggesting I was wrong or "incorrect" on. Yes, I can see a heat exchanger leaking, and possibly introducing water in the oil.

The reason I suggested possibly is being a intake leak, is two reasons.

#1 he said he had a new oil cooler.

#2 This problem arose once low water pickups were installed.

My guess, purely based off the original information, was installing the low water pickups caused a major increase in system pressure. I would think the brand new oil cooler springing a leak from this, would be less likely than a intake gasket blowing or weeping, due to the high water pressure.

The joints on a cooler are built to withstand some pressure. Considering they were new (both), I cant see 30,40,50, or even 60psi of water pressure blowing a solder joint on the exchanger, considering we regularly put 70,80, 90, or more of oil psi thru them.

Ive rigged stuff up to psi test a complete system, from the thermostat outlets to the sea pump feed line, to check for leaks with compressed air. I'd think any good marine tech should be able to diagnose and find the leak in short time. Like you said, it could be cracked block, head gasket, head bolts, oil cooler, cracked head, or, intake gaskets. Intake gaskets being my first suspect in this scenario, considering they aren't designed to withstand extreme pressure, and usually first to go.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the op did not say what gen block he has,but you would be suprised how easily water can leak past the head gasget on a gen 5 or 6 engine,espically if the deck is not perfectly flat,they will leak much easier than a mark 4 block.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by stevesxm
being from the northern midwest i have seen and replaced my share of oil coolers that were ruprured from freezing,(DIY'S),the oil always leaks out the exhaust or through the prop...never had it leak back into the engine unless it sits in the water then fills the cavtity when the engine is off then usually the oil will push it out..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.