Notices

What size truck will be needed?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default What size truck will be needed?

The time is getting closer to purchase and I plan on buying the tow rig first.

Currectly have and Escalade EXT but I know that wont cut the bill so it is going out the doors.

Boats we are looking at seriously looking at

* 29 Formula Fastech

* 33 Donzi ZX

And we are looing at but really not sure of

* 35 Cafe racer

* 31 Bullett.

Now I know the Cigs are heavy boats and a 2500 series is a MUST. But what about the other two?

Ideal I would like a GMC 1500 Denali but I am not sure the 1500 will cut the job much better than my current truck. I like the 2500 series but to be honest they are hard to find one I like, that is loaded up the way i like, and in my budget area.

I like the King Ranch F250 but it is a LOT of truck and BIG. This is my daily truck too and I work a suit and tie type job.

Just looking for ideas mainly from people who have first hand know how when it comes to boats of this size. Our current is a small CC so the Cadi does a fine job right now.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

3/4 ton. Pick your manufacturer.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I think I've told you before but I wouldn't want to be towing my Cafe full of fuel and liquor with much less than a full 1 ton. (I'm shirt and tie 5 days a week and DD my Dually every day). You seriously could be approaching 15k on a steel trailer.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will want a 3/4 ton gas/diesel if you go for anything over 31 ft. You could be upwards of 12,500 lbs with trailer depending on hull. I have an Avalanche 3/4 ton (no longer produced) with an 8.1 that has an 12,000 lb rating but you can't buy them except used. The older Suburbans/Yukon XL is the same (pre 2007). The highest rating you can get in an SUV I think is 10,500 with the Suburban/Yukon now. Ford only offers 9,000 lbs in an SUV. Power is not going to be the issue, braking and stability will be.

Wannabe
Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I think I've told you before but I wouldn't want to be towing my Cafe full of fuel and liquor with much less than a full 1 ton. (I'm shirt and tie 5 days a week and DD my Dually every day). You seriously could be approaching 15k on a steel trailer.

Ya you were telling me before. We were dead set on a Cafe but what we would have to get and buy to tow it, store, it, and upkeep it might be more than I want. As for a Dully.....I couldnt do it everyday. just too much truck for me and I know it. The basic 4x4 F250 quad cab is just HUGE to me.

I did not realize 15k was the area weight loaded up...Sh*t!!!!

Last edited by Nate5.0; 04-10-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
You will want a 3/4 ton gas/diesel if you go for anything over 31 ft. You could be upwards of 12,500 lbs with trailer depending on hull. I have an Avalanche 3/4 ton (no longer produced) with an 8.1 that has an 12,000 lb rating but you can't buy them except used. The older Suburbans/Yukon XL is the same (pre 2007). The highest rating you can get in an SUV I think is 10,500 with the Suburban/Yukon now. Ford only offers 9,000 lbs in an SUV. Power is not going to be the issue, braking and stability will be.

Wannabe

The truck will be used and about a $40k max budget. Naturally lower would be nice but that's what I am working with. Only really want a truck....don't care much for an SUV and the GF has a nicer coupe car so we can use that when needed for weekend driving.

I toyed with the idea of a 90's beat up Dodge diesel dully and just keep my truck but that would be a 4th car to our stable and that's a bit much.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

GMC puts the Denali package in the 2500 series now. Gorgeous truck! As others have said, I'd go with a 2500 diesel at a minimum for all the boats you mention. I tow my 26 footer with a Silverado 2500 Diesel. Boat is 8550 on the steel trailer. 1/2 ton truck was horrible as any dip or big bump in the road would make it very unstable and scary. Was tough to get it up a hill too! Oh yeah, I drive my Lifted Diesel every day 21 miles each way to work. I'm an engineer with a desk job. It's very comfortable and rides nice.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The 33 Donzi will feel bigger than the Cafe. It's damn near 10 feet wide!

Anything with stock twin engines is going to have the same maintenance. The additional upkeep will be time to wash and wax it, and cabin accessories.

Given what you are considering, anything of the late model 3/4 ton diesels will do you just fine especially considering you will more than likely be on an aluminum trailer.

I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I wish I bought a smaller truck" when it comes to towing a boat.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
GMC puts the Denali package in the 2500 series now. Gorgeous truck! As others have said, I'd go with a 2500 diesel at a minimum for all the boats you mention. I tow my 26 footer with a Silverado 2500 Diesel. Boat is 8550 on the steel trailer. 1/2 ton truck was horrible as any dip or big bump in the road would make it very unstable and scary. Was tough to get it up a hill too!

Well that is what I want and have seen but just not in my $40k wheel house for price range. They seem to be VERY rare for people to let go of.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The 33 Donzi will feel bigger than the Cafe. It's damn near 10 feet wide!

Anything with stock twin engines is going to have the same maintenance. The additional upkeep will be time to wash and wax it, and cabin accessories.

I just figure the massive weight of the Cafe will push me to a truck bigger than I wish to drive all the time. I could be very wrong though which is why I ask.

As far as more "upkeep" goes I added in the truck factor to that and the engines. If I go the "older" boat route I will be most likely on a carbed based engine and while I know my way around cars everything I know is EFi and i know NOTHING on carbs so to be honest I rather stay away.

We are looking for a fun turn key boat for the most part. I know they break often but I would enjoy on that breaks a bit less often if you get my idea.

We wont even look at a blower boat or anything like that at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.