water water water >

water water water

Notices

water water water

Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water water water

I just bought a 1996 Four Winns vista cruiser, actually put a deposit down and towed it from lake back to my and the sellers town 2.5hrs. Here is my concerns during tow anchor drain was draining pretty well at each stop starting 10 miles into trip, I had worked all day and needed a drink. I noticed old water stains up front of the v birth past all windows earlier when considering purchase and got seller down on price. Other than that the boat is still pretty nice for age. Then I get home still running go to bed next morning street looks as if stopped hrs prior. I back up drive on slight grade nose down. Water seeps up in the middle of cabin floor by steps and exterior corners in aft. My questions are will only water in anchor box come out anchor drain? I tow a 40' 5th wheel 11000 lbs and this boat felt just as heavy. Should I run away seller gave me 24hrs for decision but is willing to give deposit back or $500.00 towards repairs in first 90 days if I want to keep it. I should mention marina dewinterwised it 3 days prior tune up oil change and said hot water tank needs flushed due to rusty water. I'm getting fair price too if it's not going to seek or cost 1000 to repair
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Repairing the leak may be the cheap part. How long has it been like that? Are the stringers & bulkheads waterlogged/ damaged? I would look further into it if I were buying. JMO Randy
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Repairing the leak may be the cheap part. How long has it been like that? Are the stringers & bulkheads waterlogged/ damaged? I would look further into it if I were buying. JMO Randy
I would be willing to pay to have it looked at but that will take a while this time of year. I don't know how to do any of that. Engine work something's I cant even find a schematic or blueprint on how boats are built to know if water from hull can get to anchor drain. Is it a sealed drain tube or channel flow like a gutter?

Last edited by hookytime; 04-22-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Registered

Try calling Four Winns and ask them your questions. They are one of the manufacturers still actually in business.

I've learned the hard way on buying a rotten boat. Will never do it again. If you've got water splish splashin all over the place, I would bail and tell the guy he got a free tow home.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would agree with c deezy. If you have no experience with this type of work you might want to keep looking. What happens is a leak allows rainwater/etc to drain from the anchor compartment into the hull where it gets trapped & absorbs into the wood. Can be very costly to repair. Randy
Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I 100% agree with the last two posts. Nothing worse then finding for in a boat, because if its been leaking for a while the water can be absorbed in places you can't imagine causing for high $$$ repairs or a big pain in the a$$ if you do it yourself. My first boat had some rot and I had to redo the port stringer. I still have night area about being hot and sweaty which allowed all the fiberglass dust to get deep into my skin!!! It was not a good day to own a boat! Lol
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would run like hell! Buying a rotten boat is like buying a rusty car. Never ending expensive repairs.