Notices

Trailer Tires (again)

Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer Tires (again)

Hello,

Here is my situation I am looking for some feedback on.

- Trailer is a 1999 with Goodyear Workhorse tires that are original when trailer was built.

- The size are 9.50-16.5

- The trailer has been stored inside its entire life and the tires look perfect.

- I can get Firestone Transforce HT in that old size and can't find any others without changing rims to 16 inch

What would you do? Buy new tires? Leave the, alone until I have or notice an issue?

It's only 1k for the tires, but damn they look great so I'm unsure if I should spend the money on fuel instead, LOL.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely get new tires if they have been on since 1999. Then again you could roll the dice if you just do short trips and keep them. Anything over 25 miles and I would replace.

I would just go ahead and replace them if it were me.

If you had the room to go to 16 inch I would get 16 in. They will have a higher load rating depending upon tire size than the 15 in.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rgrgoog
I would definitely get new tires if they have been on since 1999. Then again you could roll the dice if you just do short trips and keep them. Anything over 25 miles and I would replace.

I would just go ahead and replace them if it were me.

If you had the room to go to 16 inch I would get 16 in. They will have a higher load rating depending upon tire size than the 15 in.
Thanks, appreciate the input. For clarity, it has 16.5 now, not 15.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered

There are a few other tires available in that size, but very limited, all of them are imports doesn't make them bad, sell a lot of them without any issues. But the transforce ht makes a great trailer tire. The 16.5 died out pretty quickly after a few people died trying to mount 16" tires on them. PM if you want some pricing I am coming to Detroit in a week or two.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You can pick up trailer rims for $100 a piece. Such seems like a cheap investment to keep many more options available to you in the future...
...depending on how long you are going to keep this setup.

Are you going to keep it long enough to put another new set of tires on it?

I see nothing wrong with a 16.5 tire.
Except for the fact you are not going to buy one at any given tire shop on a Sunday when you need one most.

With a 16" wheel, you can roll into any billy-bob tire joint, or even a Wal*Mart and find something that is round, black, holds air, and will get you through another 250 miles in an emergency.

I'd carry two spares with you if you had 16.5 tires.

Another thought, what if you tear up one rim somehow? Can you replace it? It would suck to have several brand new tires, and one shucked one with a bad wheel.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-25-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

My trailer is a 2004 and has sat inside its entire life. Tires look good but I went ahead and bought 4 new wheels and tires from Tredit. They supply a lot of the trailer manufactures with their wheels/tires. Dropped off on your doorstep mounted and ready to bolt on. www.tredittire.com I would switch to 16's.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Tires (again)-new-digs.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pwraddr: If you do not do much trailering I think you can keep the current tires if the trailer is stored indoors. Sunlight kills the tires, if they look Ok and you don't trailer much. Buying the Firestones will keep you good for another 10+ years too.

Wannabe
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You can pick up trailer rims for $100 a piece. Such seems like a cheap investment to keep many more options available to you in the future...
...depending on how long you are going to keep this setup.

Are you going to keep it long enough to put another new set of tires on it?

No

I see nothing wrong with a 16.5 tire.
Except for the fact you are not going to buy one at any given tire shop on a Sunday when you need one most.

True, good point.

With a 16" wheel, you can roll into any billy-bob tire joint, or even a Wal*Mart and find something that is round, black, holds air, and will get you through another 250 miles in an emergency.

Another good point.

I'd carry two spares with you if you had 16.5 tires.

Another thought, what if you tear up one rim somehow? Can you replace it? It would suck to have several brand new tires, and one shucked one with a bad wheel.

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
My trailer is a 2004 and has sat inside its entire life. Tires look good but I went ahead and bought 4 new wheels and tires from Tredit. They supply a lot of the trailer manufactures with their wheels/tires. Dropped off on your doorstep mounted and ready to bolt on. www.tredittire.com I would switch to 16's.
Thanks, I sent a RFQ.

Originally Posted by wannabe
Pwraddr: If you do not do much trailering I think you can keep the current tires if the trailer is stored indoors. Sunlight kills the tires, if they look Ok and you don't trailer much. Buying the Firestones will keep you good for another 10+ years too.

Wannabe
This summer a few trips that will total 1000 miles.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Registered

I wouldent mount 16.5s on anything. They are chit in my opinion. The design of the bead leads to the tire coming off the bead in hard scrubbing situation such as tight cornering etc. Ever tried to reseat a 16.5? without either its next to impossible. My tire guy said a few years ago that they are being phased out. I would guess that they are hard to find nowadays. Just my .02

Cheers
Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
Hello,

Here is my situation I am looking for some feedback on.

- Trailer is a 1999 with Goodyear Workhorse tires that are original when trailer was built.

- The size are 9.50-16.5

- The trailer has been stored inside its entire life and the tires look perfect.

- I can get Firestone Transforce HT in that old size and can't find any others without changing rims to 16 inch

What would you do? Buy new tires? Leave the, alone until I have or notice an issue?

It's only 1k for the tires, but damn they look great so I'm unsure if I should spend the money on fuel instead, LOL.
Iv'e had the 16.5 Transforces now for 6 yrs and do quite a bit of towing, and mine still look brand new.. haven't had any issues at all with them..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.