Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Bunk location question on roller conversion >

Bunk location question on roller conversion

Notices

Bunk location question on roller conversion

Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bunk location question on roller conversion

Background: Boat is a 1986 Formula 272. 2,000 lb steel load rite trailer converted to tilting bunks. Boat tips in right about 6,000 lbs.

Trailer bunk questions:

Removed all the roller assemblies and I am now down to the main four pivoting supports. I am going to mount 2x6 bunks to these to create a pivoting bunk trailer. Picture below is not mine, found on google from out in MN, just running with the idea. They are available from the factory like this also.

OK, so now getting ready to add the bunks to my trailer. Going with 2x6 lumber that will be fully supported by 3" x 5" square steel tubing, so plenty strong. The 3x5" steel tubing is 60" long.

From the picture, I have two options I see.
Option 1, I move the bunk inboard a bit to get the full bunk inside the strake and mount it at a 24 degree slope to match hull.

Option 2 is I keep the bunk flat and let the inside corner of the bunk match up with the inside corner where the strake meets the hull. That way the boat is actually sitting on the strake. I can rip the inside corner of the 2x6 at the 24 degree angle so it sits on the strake and about 2" on the hull itself. I think this would help keep the strake from catching one bunk and pulling the boat to the side when loading. If I go this route, I will double up the 2x6 so there is not a thin edge where the board is chamfered.

I also have pretty good side locators on the trailer, so lining up the hull should go well.

What are others thoughts and experiences? Thank you for any insight or ideas you can offer me.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Bunk location question on roller conversion-tilting-bunk-trailer.jpg   Bunk location question on roller conversion-dsc01353.jpg   Bunk location question on roller conversion-dsc01354.jpg  

Bunk location question on roller conversion-dsc01355.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does this view help...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes john it does. Couldn't remember if you were supposed to put a bunk under a strake or not. Not from a strength issue, but more from if the outside of the strake caught he inside edge of the bunk. Guess my concerns are put to rest.

Thank you.