Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hyd. steering question? Need some help guys. >

Hyd. steering question? Need some help guys.

Notices

Hyd. steering question? Need some help guys.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyd. steering question? Need some help guys.

Sorry for the length of this post but I really need some help and hope my description helps you guys figure this propblem out!

Can anyone tell me if the steering wheel should "ratchet" on a full hyd. system after the ram has extended or retracted all the way??? Just installed a Mayfair inside kit (with a single ram Imco ram on the back) and it turns smoothly but when you get to lock the steering wheel will continue to move....or "ratchet" so to speak. If this helps, imagine one of the spokes on your steering wheel being at 6 oclock when you turn the wheel to the right to lock. Turn the wheel slightly to the left then back to the right.....the spoke ends up at 7 or 8 oclock. Should it do that or should it abruptly stop turning when the wheel reaches lock either way?

I've got a couple issues I'm trying to work out currently...that is one the other is the with the drive centered you can rock the wheel from say 10 oclock to 2 oclock and after doing that about 5-6 times.....the drive is all the way to the right (looking at back of boat). It's got me stumped! Any help would really be appreciated. It's keeping me off of the water because there's no way I'm going to run it like this.

I just recieved a new helm from Cp (hope to install it in the next few days) and am hoping that solves this problem. I blead the heck out of the system and the ram is rock solid with no play.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I know it's normal for the wheel to continue turning slowly with a dual ram system.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

It sounds like you are popping the pressure relief valve in the helm when you are bottoming out the ram and it is ratcheting. Don't do that, there is over 1000PSI of pressure.

And if you have a single cylinder it is not a balanced system volumetrically. From center left will take 1.5 turns and right will take 2 turns. (just examples not real numbers and I don't know you left and right)
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
It sounds like you are popping the pressure relief valve in the helm when you are bottoming out the ram and it is ratcheting. Don't do that, there is over 1000PSI of pressure.

And if you have a single cylinder it is not a balanced system volumetrically. From center left will take 1.5 turns and right will take 2 turns. (just examples not real numbers and I don't know you left and right)
Replaced the helm and cleaned the filter today......same results! I will try bleeding the system again in hopes that there is more air trapped in the lines but if that doesn't correct rocking the wheel slightly left to rihht and having the drive move all the way to the right I suppose I'll have to water test it! I hope I'm just over thinking this situation but it seems extremely dangerous!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The steering wheel does not stay "centered" with full hyd steering. The steering wheel will end up in different positions all the time with the drive exactly straight. I really don't think you have an issue, but I rarely ever turn far enough to hit the locks and have not payed enough attention to see if mine acts like you describe.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
The steering wheel does not stay "centered" with full hyd steering. The steering wheel will end up in different positions all the time with the drive exactly straight. I really don't think you have an issue, but I rarely ever turn far enough to hit the locks and have not payed enough attention to see if mine acts like you describe.
Hi Griff, I am to the point with this steering that I think your right. It was mentioned that its not a balanced system with a single ram also which would make sense. My concern is the constant corrections to the wheel to keep the boat straight (in and outside of the 5mph zone) ......with out the drive working its way all the way to the right in the process. It may sound stupid to be concerned about this.....but I mostly run in an area where there a narrow slues and don't want my boat to end up on a bank. I'm hoping that I'm just making more of this than it really is and thinking about how the boat responded last year with the stock steering . Im sure the drive stays put (side to side) with full hyd steering vs. stock steering that was 24 years old so the corrections at the wheel in an effort to keep the boat straight may be a thing of the past. I'm going to water test it when I finish the k planes and see what happens.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangmark
My concern is the constant corrections to the wheel to keep the boat straight (in and outside of the 5mph zone) ......with out the drive working its way all the way to the right in the process.
Im sure the drive stays put (side to side) with full hyd steering vs. stock steering that was 24 years old so the corrections at the wheel in an effort to keep the boat straight may be a thing of the past.
You are still going to have to be correcting at 5mph, sorry just nature of the beast. Just make little corrections at a time and try to anticipate it before it drifts.

If you just let the boat idle on the hose does the drive drift or does it stay locked? If it drifts you have a leak in the cylinder if it stays locked in one place that is good. I also agree with Griff and believe it is fine. Just take it easy and careful your first time out.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

[TE=Rookie;3920474]You are still going to have to be correcting at 5mph, sorry just nature of the beast. Just make little corrections at a time and try to anticipate it before it drifts.

If you just let the boat idle on the hose does the drive drift or does it stay locked? If it drifts you have a leak in the cylinder if it stays locked in one place that is good. I also agree with Griff and believe it is fine. Just take it easy and careful your first time out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rookie,
It stays in one spot on the hose. I think you guys are right and feel more comfortable with it now. After I get the k planes bolted on I'll test it out and see what happens. Ill let you know. Hoping to put the boat back in the water late this month.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Bringing your tabs all the way down when idling will help with the wandering