relocating exhaust tips/header change >

relocating exhaust tips/header change

Notices

relocating exhaust tips/header change

Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default relocating exhaust tips/header change

I just changed out my merc center risers for cmi 454/502 etop headers. Now its looking like I need to move my tips up around 1-2".

I'm looking for any other ideas on how to cover the old holes in my transom without getting into re-glassing my transom.
The boat is a 90 38' fountain fever equipped with silent choice exhaust. If i didnt want to run my silent chice I'm shure the rubber hoses would take up the slack but with the diverters in place there is probably a 1" gap between both the diverters/tip/headers.

Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet might be to cut the new holes offset over top of the old holes, and then have some stainless steel oval plates made up to cover the openings, with an opening in the correct location for the exhaust tips to pass through. Aside from that, all you can do is glass in the old holes, re-gel the transom, and cut new holes in the correct location.

Aside from that, sounds like your only option would be to ditch the silent choice and go to a switchable muffler tip, unless the diverters could be modified with a dogleg in them to line up with the tips. I confronted the same issue with my boat - mine was originally equipped with a small block, so the tips were closer together than a standard big block configuration.