Notices

New truck no trailer brakes

Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New truck no trailer brakes

Has anyone come across this ?

Have a 2013 gmc with built in brake actuator ,myco has electric hydraulic brake system with Carlisle hydrostar HBA-10 1000 psi actuator.
The built in actuator does not work , I realize all actuators do not work with all trailers , is there an adapter or something without having to install a different actuator on truck.

Thanks Joe
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2003 GMC there was a space for a fuse in the fuse panel that was left empty from the factory for constant 12 V feed to work with electric over hyd. brakes. It cost me 2 hrs labor for my local mechanic to trace all the wiring & realize that's what it was.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by katywompus
On my 2003 GMC there was a space for a fuse in the fuse panel that was left empty from the factory for constant 12 V feed to work with electric over hyd. brakes. It cost me 2 hrs labor for my local mechanic to trace all the wiring & realize that's what it was.

Hope this helps!
that would be the first place to start. I have seen several newer trucks of varying makes that did not come with any fuses related to the trailer.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered

On the newer GMC/Chevies, the 12volt feed at the trailer plug is not connected to the fusebox. look under the hood, there is a wire taped to the wiring harness under the brake booster area. It is red. you need to connect this wire to one of the two studs at the front of the distribution/fuse box. they are metric studs. Fuse is already there.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my ford had a fuse too but the dealer installed it before pick up. Kind of stupid to have the tow package and not have it ready, think its just a simple over sight by the dealer. Oh and its not a brake accuator on the truck its the brake controller. The acuator is on the trailer.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JMPH
Has anyone come across this ?

Have a 2013 gmc with built in brake actuator ,myco has electric hydraulic brake system with Carlisle hydrostar HBA-10 1000 psi actuator.
The built in actuator does not work , I realize all actuators do not work with all trailers , is there an adapter or something without having to install a different actuator on truck.

Thanks Joe
You need to confirm, but I think you need this...

Carlisle Control Adapter Module for HydraStar Electric-Hydraulic Brake Actuators Carlisle Accessories and Parts HBA-CAM
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Have someone sit in the truck and apply the brakes; while you sit at the trailer plug and test the connector with a DVM; all with the truck running. This is the best way to confirm quickly that you have the right signal getting to the trailer. The 12V+ needs to read positive of course, and the trailer brake lead needs to read a progressive + voltage--the heavier the pressure on the brake pedal.

Confirm the above first, then move on to the trailer and perhaps purchasing the adapter. Myco Trailers keeps the adapters in stock.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Registered

Not an oversight. Chevy/GMC's do not have the wire connected. It is there, but not hooked up. I have to hook them up all the time for customers who bought a new truck with the tow package, but dealer never connects wiring.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
my ford had a fuse too but the dealer installed it before pick up. Kind of stupid to have the tow package and not have it ready, think its just a simple over sight by the dealer. Oh and its not a brake accuator on the truck its the brake controller. The acuator is on the trailer.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbracing
Not an oversight. Chevy/GMC's do not have the wire connected. It is there, but not hooked up. I have to hook them up all the time for customers who bought a new truck with the tow package, but dealer never connects wiring.
chevy must be different. Once funny though is a truck is made for towing and if you have the 7 way plug on the back, you think the factory or the dealer would have it wired correctly and ready to go.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Registered

You would think that....the previous year of GMC/Chevy would have the wires attached but a dummy fuse in fusebox. Many of the Fords you needed the fuse and a relay.
Anything to save a nickel.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
chevy must be different. Once funny though is a truck is made for towing and if you have the 7 way plug on the back, you think the factory or the dealer would have it wired correctly and ready to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.