Collectibility of old offshore boats

Notices

Collectibility of old offshore boats

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Collectibility of old offshore boats

Some of my muscle car friends and I got to talking and the conversation lead to us discussing why vintage offshore boats get no love from a collectible angle. We all have old mopars and offshore boats.

One guy just picked up a 1980 38' excaliber (signature hull). Such an iconic boat!

Will we ever see a time when this old offshore stuff comes alive like the muscle cars did in the nineties?

Discuss.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if no one will finance a clean old classic boat then the value will always be lower, some years ago (1990's) then the muscle car became hot , it appeared to be due to banks giving long loans to finance the beauties, many people I know would love to have an old cig or something like that, but cant blow the 40-80 k cash drop on a sweet one as they are still sending their kids to school and other obligations but they can buy an old 40 k Challenger for 100.00 per month and afford that

I would guess if banks would give "collector / classic" loans for boats, I believe that the classic market would boom
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 1980 38 coyote. My winning bid was $14,100.00. Complete with 2005 trailer.
It is so sweet. Twin 2001 496.s HO w 150 hours.
It has 6 gas tanks.

1984 38' Coyote/Sonic 03 8.1 L 420HP

As long as these gas guzzlers suck down the gas. They won't be going up in value unless gas comes back down to a dollar a gallon
We all know that's not happening.
Who can afford to fill these things up?

I wish they would go up in value.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had this same discussion with friends of mine that collect and sell muscle cars. I am a GM/Mopar guy and am without one now but usually have a Camaro, Chevelle or Challenger to sell/trade. i think the difference is that more of the general population relates with Muscle cars ...especially "Baby Boomers" because we identify with them in a happy time in our lives.Everybody in Middle class America has a car but only a small percentage have boats. High performance Offshore Boats don't make the market penetration into the "Heartland" like Muscle Cars do. Back in the day, a Muscle Car could be your daily driver but you only use a boat on the weekends...and unless you are in a warmer part of the country as I am...only in the Summer months.

I think in some parts of the country...Florida, The Great Lakes, parts of the big population centers of the North East and Southern California...a market exists for milestone Performance Boats such as Scarabs, Cigarettes, Formulas, Donzi's and Fountains to name a few. As in the Muscle Car hobby...the market is in completed "Turn Key" boats. Most people don't have the time or patience for a "Boat Project".

I keep waiting on the Performance Boat version of "Overhaulin" or "Chasing classic cars"..."Gas Monkey" or something similar. We may see it...but not with 7.5% unemployment.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

WOW. That's for nothing
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
I have had this same discussion with friends of mine that collect and sell muscle cars. I am a GM/Mopar guy and am without one now but usually have a Camaro, Chevelle or Challenger to sell/trade. i think the difference is that more of the general population relates with Muscle cars ...especially "Baby Boomers" because we identify with them in a happy time in our lives.Everybody in Middle class America has a car but only a small percentage have boats. High performance Offshore Boats don't make the market penetration into the "Heartland" like Muscle Cars do. Back in the day, a Muscle Car could be your daily driver but you only use a boat on the weekends...and unless you are in a warmer part of the country as I am...only in the Summer months.

I think in some parts of the country...Florida, The Great Lakes, parts of the big population centers of the North East and Southern California...a market exists for milestone Performance Boats such as Scarabs, Cigarettes, Formulas, Donzi's and Fountains to name a few. As in the Muscle Car hobby...the market is in completed "Turn Key" boats. Most people don't have the time or patience for a "Boat Project".

I keep waiting on the Performance Boat version of "Overhaulin" or "Chasing classic cars"..."Gas Monkey" or something similar. We may see it...but not with 7.5% unemployment.
++1 It would also help if there were more TV shows with powerboats. I wish there was a new version of Miami Vice or a TV drama show dealing with boats in general. I dream that The Fast & Furious series would have powerboats. That would help the boat market. It would also bring more ambition to the average Joe in buying a boat or working on his boat. It would help if the U.S. would find away to make gas prices go down so more people would afford more to go out more and spend more.

Last edited by ESCOBAR; 05-20-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESCOBAR
++1 It would also help if there were more TV shows with powerboats. I wish there was a new version of Miami Vice or a TV drama show dealing with boats in general. I dream that The Fast & Furious series would have powerboats. That would help the boat market. It would also bring more ambition to the average Joe in buying a boat or working on his boat. It would help if the U.S. would find away to make gas prices go down so more people would afford more to go out more and spend more.
Well said....In the mid to late 80's here in SE Florida we were awash with drug money and Miami Vice. The whole country caught the fever and Offshore Powerboating as we know it today took off like a bullet. A Cop Show with Florida as the setting and boats as a central theme would be a big boost for sure.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ESCOBAR
. It would help if the U.S. would find away to make gas prices go down so more people would afford more to go out more and spend more.
Not with Obastard in office. He wants to make sure that gas goes up to $8.00/ gal
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

a couple of things I don't think the classic offshore market will be anywhere near what the muscle car market has grown too, America's first loves are baseball and cars. BUT the market for the older classic boats of offshore is holding it's own.
I have had 2 older donzi classics that have held their monetary value quite well. In 2001 I paid 8500 for a turn key 1967 16 about 4 grand over it's original sell price in 1967 the boat was basically original but was painted I put about another grand into not counting regular maint and gas and sold it 8 years later for 9500. try that with a sea ray or regal.
There are a lot of us that do this I see restoration and classic glass boats being saved on numerous forums.

I think the signs are there, presence at the classic wooden shows is also growing . I have been active with Lake George Donzi Classic Club for 12 years now and we have been working with the ACBS trying to get the word out about the Classic glass boats from the golden era of offshore. The deadline for the shows is also moving up I think the mid 1970's is the cutoff but depending on the show they will still let you exhibit a newer classic but be judged.

maybe I am just a sap when in comes to these older classic boats , I have helped on a few restorations donzi , cigarettes . I have seen prices that lead me to think the best investment is in older glass compared to newer glass.
I did go out and buy a newer boat though I sold the 1967 and bought a 1968 hopefully it will be my "split window coupe" someday but if not I will still enjoy the hell out of it.

we are trying www.lgdonziclassic.com
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with a 230 Stinger ltd as my first resto. In the process i found a 312 Stnger that a local dealer had years back and managed to get a hold of it. After selling that one ( never really made any money on either one) I got a cruiser and kicked back for awhile. Then picked up an Excaliber 24. At the time I had it painted with a mural on the deck. A buddy and myself were thinking (over adult beverages of course) that this restoration thing maybe a niche to be filled. I sold the Excal, made a coupla dollars not a killing. Now I'm in the middle of a Magnum Maltese resto. This one I would like to keep for myself, I'm finding some special things out about the boat as research goes on. To me and the area I'm in it seems restored boats unless wooden hulls will only command book value at best. What's a 1973 Magnum hull worth gutted and wet? When finished if I decide to sell maybe the best thing to do would be what MRVINYL did, take it to an auction. It takes somebody who knows these old sport boats to want one. How many times haveyou heard " one of those cigarette boats"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.