Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
controller stopped showing trailer connected. >

controller stopped showing trailer connected.

Notices

controller stopped showing trailer connected.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default controller stopped showing trailer connected.

I installed new Prodigy P2 controller on my 2006 silverado 5.3l. Everything worked still but no brakes(electric over hydraulic) . I could not get 12volt source at 7-way. I discovered the fuse was not installed in the underhood fuse distribution box. I installed the fuse and thought great problem solved. When I went to test, I manually advanced the brake controller and then all lights on the trailer stopped working and the controller displayed trailer not connected. My question is what happened and how do I resolve. I checked the fuses by the door and under the hood and all look/test ok. I checked all that had "trl" in the description.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I have more problems with my 7 way connector than anything in my rig - and it's not just the boat trailer, but an enclosed trailer, as well. I've found that the ground circuit seems to be very sensitive to corrosion - thus multiple insertions helps to clean the terminals. I've went as far as filing the terminal in the 7 way (both truck and trailer side) with a small ignition file. It helps for a while, but then needs some more attention.

My suggestion is to first, confirm the terminals on the truck side 7 way are wired properly - make sure your getting voltage when and where you expect it. That information will tell you quite a bit. If that proves NG, then you'll need to start tracing back through the truck - going to the obvious connections first (7 way, controller, factory harness adapter).

Let us know what you come up with , and we might be able to help.

I've got a Prodigy P3, and I've seen trailer not connected probably more times than connected. I usually go back there and shake the connection at the 7 way, and it comes to life - not very comforting.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Tested the 7way plug and all functions as should at the truck side. I used the 7way ground when testing. Still nothing at the trailer. I did at one point slide the bar on the controller and trailer running lights came on. At the same point i turned running lights on and controller showed connected. Then it went back to nothing. I hooked up an f250 and everything worked on the trailer as it should. Makes no sense to me. Installing brake controller should be simple what gives?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a smart ass.....Did you get the colors right on the wiring??? The brake controller has black 12V, white ground, red brake switch, blue brakes. The truck colors are not all the same .
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

take a little pick and bend the tab outwards on the truck side,,also try to clean it,the bakke one will ger burnt from not having a good connection,,you also need to keep it greased with die electric grease ..
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

If you slide the brake over ride lever on the controller and the brake lights come on, that sounds like the brake wire from the controller is connected to the brake light wire on the trailer. Or did I misread your post??
Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

If all wiring is correct, I suspect a bad ground. To test for bad ground, run a jumper wire from trailer frame to a good ground on the truck to bypass the 7 way. See if that makes any difference. If it does, there is a ground problem in the truck. I have found corrosion in the factory plugs where they plug into the harness, even though the have weathertite style connectors.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered

I'm operational again. The ground on my truck was/is weak. I used a jumper cable to increase ground. Problem is I can't drive around this way. How can I best increase my ground?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Registered

Scotchlok and short piece of wire on the ground wire to a bolt near the hitch/frame.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Registered

like he said^^^^ but make sure you grind on the frame to get a clean connection i would not use a scotch lock tho,,you will have the same problem down the road..,,look around back their and you will find the 10g thick white wire,,just mave to just clean where its mounted not and add a new connector...then take a hand fill of grease and goop it over your new connection then hammer the grease with under coating,it will form a bubble to try and keep the connection from rusting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.