Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Motor back in and rear main leak ! >

Motor back in and rear main leak !

Notices

Motor back in and rear main leak !

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Motor back in and rear main leak !

Thank goodness I'm not paying someone to do my boat work.We are a merc and mercruiser dealer so that helps a little.Got the motor back in my 22 Talon and later discovered it has a nasty rear main oil seal leak. When we do i/o installs we run them prior to installing but with my motor I did not due to the oil cooler being mounted in the boat.NEVER again will this happen.I'm going to make some plumbing so we can run this engine before we install it,just with no oil cooler.Timed the removal yesterday from the time we rolled it into the shop to the time we had the motor hanging and the boat out from under it ,took 1 hr 25 minutes.Lookout NASCAR !!!!! Another late night tonight, fun fun fun hf...
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the mains were line honed or line bored excessively this can sometimes contribute to rear and front seal leakage issues.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

You can run it with the oil cooler on, you don't need to run water through it. I have never taken them off.