Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rollmaster gen 6 timing set no fit?? >

Rollmaster gen 6 timing set no fit??

Notices

Rollmaster gen 6 timing set no fit??

Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rollmaster gen 6 timing set no fit??

Getting my 509 assembled amd lower end is all done.....all looks good except the rollmaster CS2090 will not line up correctly on the cam motion cam? When tightened down the top gear appears to go fuether im towards the block than the crank gear?? The crank gear looks to be seated all the way in?? The timing set looks very nice and has a Torrington bearing. Is ghere a shim available or a thicker torrington bearing? Anybody ever had this issue! Thanks..... TBF
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
Getting my 509 assembled amd lower end is all done.....all looks good except the rollmaster CS2090 will not line up correctly on the cam motion cam? When tightened down the top gear appears to go fuether im towards the block than the crank gear?? The crank gear looks to be seated all the way in?? The timing set looks very nice and has a Torrington bearing. Is ghere a shim available or a thicker torrington bearing? Anybody ever had this issue! Thanks..... TBF
How much your hare offset? Do you have install the cam retening plate?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Registered

Yes, cam retaining plate is installed..... When torqued down the chain will not turn smoothly at all.....
Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Is this the same issue you are having?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...o-you-set.html
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Is this the same issue you are having?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...o-you-set.html
Yep, that's my thread. I had a very similar issue, and my problem was that the cam (also came in a Cam Dynamics box) had the step ground about .004 too shallow, which put the thrust bearing into a preload situation. Solution was to either shim the gear out .004, or have .004 taken off the cam retainer with a surface grinder. I chose the shim. You will have to scroll to the last couple of pages of my thread to see where I realized what the real problem was. Have someone measure the step of your cam, and compare that to another Gen VI cam if possible.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Thanks a Bunch Budman..... I responded to your post and feel that it would be better to keep your thread alive for research purposes...... here is my response......

Thanks to Budman for steering me on to this thread! I have a similar situation with my Cam Motion cam and rollmaster double roller timing set with the Torrington bearing......... I am building a 502 now and have the short block done and I temporarily put a head on to mock up my valve train to measure my pushrod lengths so I can get them ordered....... of course I need to operate some valves to do this and had to put the timing chain on and.......... eff...... mis-alignment...... bad........ upper cam gear is quite a bit closer to the block than the crank gear by at least .050.........timing chain is binding and would not last 5 minutes like this............ I have studied this thread and I cant figure out exactly how the problem was solved????? I don't know if we had the same problem but shaving the retainer plate wont help me out? shimming the cam gear forward will help. Machining the lower cam gear to move it closer to the engine would help but I don't know how much meat is available on the crank gear to do this. I will check later. Machining the step on the front of the cam would allow the whole cam to move forward and move the cam gear away from the block? That would help as well but would that also affect lifter?cam lobe alignment? I can check this as well.

Is there another brand of timing chain that I could use? the stock big single chain will not fit as the Cam core has a smaller mounting hole pattern than a stock gen 6 cam. If I could use a stock chain I would have no issue with that as my valve springs are not super strong as I am only running .611 lift...... what is the cause for this issue? I am sure that the engineers at rollmaster know what they are doing..... Cam Motion as well??? am I not doing something right?? Thanks..... TBF
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's another thing to watch out for...there is more than one timing chain setup used on gen VI's...they used different crank gears for use with and without the reluctor wheel for the crank sensor...had a brand new engine that they used the gear for use with the wheel but left it out...when the balancer was installed it went back past the end of the crank, so bolt/washer bottomed out on crank..not balancer..after 50 hours balancer wobbled out and was able to remove by pulling off by hand...
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered

After some more research, it looks like I may have not completely installed the lower crank gear all the way. I will get the special installer and see if I can get it to go on further. Hopefully it will be as simple as that! I will post back my findings even if it was my own dumbazz mistake!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
After some more research, it looks like I may have not completely installed the lower crank gear all the way. I will get the special installer and see if I can get it to go on further. Hopefully it will be as simple as that! I will post back my findings even if it was my own dumbazz mistake!
How did you install the gear this time? Hopefully not by pounding it on with a hammer. I was able to use my balancer installer tool with a large washer and a short length of automotive exhaust pipe to push against the gear.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

I assumed the crank gear was all the way on but it was not..... it sure looked like it was fully seated but I used the tool to verify and put the old single row gear on behind the rollmaster double roller gear with a length of pipe to fit........ cranked it down pretty good and it moved closer to the block and now timing chain alignment looks good!
double check everything!!!!! TBF