Notices

Cam / Heads Motor on Truck

Old 05-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam / Heads Motor on Truck

I've got a friend who works full time for a known engine builder whos currently selling off his motor and I was just curious as to what everyone thinks.

His truck is an 04 short bed with a 5.3. He's dumping the motor completely to go with a 6.2 and other work.

Here is his list. He put 20,000 miles on this setup with no problems. It was his DD.
-Heads ported w/ bigger (1.950") int valves
-cam: 218/224 113.5 lsa .530"/.539" lift
-port matched intake manifold and ported drive by wire throttle body
-ran 13.9 1/4 mile in my truck, stock trans
-Comp 918 valve springs

I have an 04 CC with air intake and magnaflow cat back, and been dyno tuned (which I realize will need to be completely redone). It currently has 66k miles with stock trans (but factory trailer package, which I would probably add a tranny cooler).

I would add long tubes and ORY also to get the most out of whats done.

My questions (even though I trust him, just want a second opinion).
My truck isn't really a DD as I have a work truck, but off hours I drive mine.

Is this a pretty decent setup? I'm just looking for a decent power adder, not a drag racer.
Is this a setup thats streetable? In my case I would prefer the cam would have more low - mid range tq/hp than at higher rpm's
What does the power range of the cam look like?
That seems like a mild cam just looking at the specs, does that seem like a fair judgement? I'm after the power adder part, just not to hot on getting a real loopey cam. I'm no racer, just would like some more power, do the occasional pulling of my boat or small trailer for motorcycles/quads.

Would / should there be any other upgrades to the internals of the motor? He just had stock bottom end.

Thanks

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more questions.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

whats he wanting for it.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Registered

I do cam swaps on these trucks all the time.

The Comp 918 springs are complete crap, if they haven't failed yet . . they will. There was a huge recall on them, and they sent out replacements. . . . and those also too have failed.

What's your current setup, and what are you wanting out of it?
What rear gear do you have?
stock tires and wheels? Any plans to run 20" wheels or bigger?
Any tranny mods? Stock or after market cooler?
Planning on running a stall converter or just the stocker?
Street racing, 1/4 mile, or just beating the snot out of it?
How often do you pull with it, or how heavy is the boat that you do pull?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO keep your engine and do a cam swap yourself. The only thing i see that hes done is headwork which on a LS engine really isn't needed until you get to about 500 hp which is not going happen with just a 5.3with a cam & headers unless you go to a crazy cam. And a 500 hp 5.3 is not going to pull a boat worth a damn.

Wannabe
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TooTall
I do cam swaps on these trucks all the time.

The Comp 918 springs are complete crap, if they haven't failed yet . . they will. There was a huge recall on them, and they sent out replacements. . . . and those also too have failed. ------ I asked in a truck forum and have said the same thing, so I'm going to change those out, along with hardened pushrods at the same time. Can you recommend some better springs, I've seen PAC springs recommended.

What's your current setup, and what are you wanting out of it? ------ Truck is a 2004 Silverado 1500 crew cab w z71, 4x4. It just has a cat back exhaust and cold air intake. Has been dyno-tuned
What rear gear do you have? ----- 3.73 w/ factory locker
stock tires and wheels? Any plans to run 20" wheels or bigger? ------ I'll prolly just stick with the factory 17's that are on it
Any tranny mods? Stock or after market cooler? ------ No tranny mods as of now. Has factory tow package. If I did this, I'd put a aftermarket tranny cooler.
Planning on running a stall converter or just the stocker? ------- Most likely just stock stall for now
Street racing, 1/4 mile, or just beating the snot out of it? ----- No street racing, no 1/4 mile. just a part time daily driver that want more power out of.
How often do you pull with it, or how heavy is the boat that you do pull? ---- Pull the boat say 10 times a year at the most.
Pic of truck and boat
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered

If it was me, keep what you have, and cam it.

Get yourself the 212/218 "low lift" it's 212/218 .522 .529 on 114LSA The lift is small enough and the lobes are not real aggressive to worry about.. . . . get the yellow LS6 springs, or get the PAC 1218 springs.
Both springs are great for daily driving. Texas Speed sells everything that you need to do the swap. cam, springs, and 7.4 push rods.

They also sell the spring tool to take off the springs from the heads. Any yes, you can leave the heads on, and swap out the springs with out dropping the valves.

tranny mods cooler - Check out the TruCool. Also check into getting a Corvette servo. It makes the 1-2 shift more firm, and will help out a little on the life of the trans

Yes you will need a custom tune after the install

If you want more, check out PerformanceTrucks.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin