Steering Issue on Checkmate 253

Notices

Steering Issue on Checkmate 253

Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Issue on Checkmate 253

Hello All,

I recently bought a 96 Checkmate 253 Convincor and I'm having a strange steering issue we are having trouble getting to the bottom of, so here goes... When accelerating, more so when you are already on plane compared to getting up on plane the boat wants to pull to the left. When you decelerate, the boat wants to pull to the right. It is consistent, and the harder you accelerate or quicker you let off the more dramatic the pull in either direction is. When I started checking things out I noticed there was side to side play in the drive (bravo I), where the drive would move about 4" either way without moving the steering arm that goes through the transom at all. There was very little up and down play in the gimble (I had a professional OK on the amount of play in gimble), and the square part of the upper pin was tight where it goes through the gimble - we could see the corner of the pin moving right with the top of the gimble. We also tried tightening that U-bolt anyway, but that was tight. So, knowing all that was tight I decided to do the Merc plug kit to drill the holes to access the bolt that tightens the steering arm on the pin. Couple holes and a hundred dollar tap later, I was able to tighten that bolt in there and that actually took up all the slop in the drive! Thought I was all set, but no, the problem is still there, maybe a little less violent now given that the drive isn't swinging 4" this way and that. What I am wondering now is could that slop have wore out the power steering ram (internal steering) from banging back and forth all the time, and now just the torque is pushing the steering around? I noticed the ram has a greyish greasy film on it, is that normal or is that sign of problems? Steering wheel feels good while driving the boat, there is a little side to side free play in the wheel but I had a friend drive it who said his wheel in his fountain feels the same way and does not do what this boat is doing. There is no feeling of the power steering cutting out as you steer, it is all smooth. P. steering fluid level is good, although the fluid itself looks kind of an off-brown color. You can actually steer into what the boat wants to do to correct some, but it obviously isn't right to have to do that and becomes a little more difficult in waves. While my friend was driving I opened up the hatch and watched the motor mounts, no movement there. I also tried to look at the steering arm/ram, I could see the assembly moving some as he sped up or slowed down, but can't really tell if what I was seeing was the drive pushing the steering or him turning into the way the boat was trying to pull. As I mentioned on speeding up the boat wants to pull left, and even under constant power it still seems to want to wander that way, unless you hold pressure on the wheel to the right. Once you let off though, it turns right. One other thing, it seems to turn easier to the right than to the left, donno if that is just nature of the steering system or could be a clue to someone who knows more than me!

Thanks for any advice you guys might have
-Joe
Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Registered

Having had steering issues (and a leak) with my 1992 23 foot Checkmate and slop in my Bravo outdrive I replaced my entire transom unit. It was 20 years old and lots of stufff wears out in 20 years. It made a world of difference and lots of new stuff like tilt rams, new boots, SS trim hoses and new power steering unit comes with it. Things that were going to need to be replaced soon anyway. Not the cheapest option but it beat screwing around with drilling holes replacing swival pins and guessing. You're not quite at 20 years yet but still something to consider if your transom wood is still solid.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Registered

I understand what I posted before was a little too much of a novel I guess, so let me ask a shorter question about what I'm thinking of trying next... Can anybody tell me are there any signs I can look for that might tell if the the steering cylinder is going bad? The ram is covered in a greyish grease, could that be a sign of a bad seal or is that just how they are?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

replacing the ram assembly is pretty cheap.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-P...20961046538%26
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a 27 nova pulled right real hard when i pulled off power at speed. there was a buncha play at the end of the steering cable. turns out it was replaced and thread was galled on the end of fitting so cable would flop close to a quarter inch. pulled it off, cleaned up threads and got it screwed all the way on. play is gone.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Registered

Ok thanks for the advice guys... I will check that cable, there is a little play in the steering wheel so maybe that is what I am feeling. And 80 bucks really isnt bad for that ram assembly, wouldnt mind trying that just to rule it out. But somehow I feel like thats probably not it since the steering does turn pretty smoothly when actually making a turn...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Also look for slop where the pin connects the tiller arm to the ram. I noticed a little slop in mine. I am going to machine a block of tool steel and weld it between the fork of the tiller as well as a new pin. That should tighten mine up and make it stronger than original.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 251 convincor with the same issues, 500 hours on original boat, were you able to diagnose this problem, I have had this same problem for 8 years now and really would love to resolve this issue as well
Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Registered

Yes I did, single ram external add on steering. This is if you have checked everything else said above. I honestly think drilling the big holes to tighten that arm is a waste of time, if its really bad just needs to be replaced anyway. And the external takes away any slop. Also I notice prop has an effect on it too, I run a 24P 4 blade I tried a 25P 3 blade once and was much worse. I know the external is a lot of money and a little bit of a project, and it wasnt what I wanted to hear either, but if you plan to keep the boat for a while, it is night and day. Makes the boat handle so much nicer. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the boat out of the water and running, there should be not play left to right on the drive, any play here is not good, if that is tight the steering actuator on inside is bad, but the best way is Hyd steering, although not a easy task on a 253 had one and did it..