AFR 290 VS DART Pro 1 head >

AFR 290 VS DART Pro 1 head

Notices

AFR 290 VS DART Pro 1 head

Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AFR 290 VS DART Pro 1 head

OK...I have a 575sci that I have already upgraded blower to a stripped 871 littlefield (triangulated discharge) and have added a Whipple lowpro intercooler/manifold. I have the motor torn down for inspection/rering. I have decided to upgrade to a hydraulic roller cam and ditch the cast iron heads. I have been in contact with Bob Madera of Marine Kinetics as far as cam selection and he is recommending a few different AFR heads. The AFR 290 is available rite away (time is an issue) but will require the blower manifold to have the ports closed down with epoxy/JB weld as it is considered a rectangled oval port head (Rovel port is what it is called). I believe it uses zz502 gaskets if that helps any. These heads flow excellent and according to Bob M will fill the cylinder efficiently with the excellent port velocity. He also said that I should see a dramatic drop in boost as the heads are that efficient.

My problem is that I am having a hard time shelling out $3391 for that set of heads when I can get Dart pro 1 rectangle marine heads for $2775 (both sets are hard anodized marine). The darts are 310/325cc intake but do not flow as well as the AFR 290...but I am forced induction, so how much that matters?...I dont know. I am also a little hesitant to do the JB weld mod to my intake to make it work. The AFRs have better number on the exhaust flow as well which seems to be an area that needs the most improvement. I would imagine that my cam would be slightly over .600 lift and the AFRs are at 283cfm there. The Darts dont flow as well in that range.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have an excellent coach with Bob. You would be well served to follow his advice.