Whipple VS Procharger >

Whipple VS Procharger

Notices

Whipple VS Procharger

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple VS Procharger

I'm curious to know what peoples thoughts are and personal experiences are on this. I'm curious to know if someone made a swap from whipple to procharger and visa versa. I currently have a M3 and curious to know. It seems like Whipples are the popular thing in marine... So if you have made the swap what was the out come?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

I have not swapped but have had both. Procharger does not have any low end power. When you put a big prop on for top end it is tought getting going. You can nail the throttle trying to plane out and most mime would pull was 2 lbs of boost until it was up and going.

Whipple has ton of power off idle.

If you have bravo procharger is easy on drive. With the whipple you have to go easy on throttle since you have instance power

If I had to decide what to go with again I would go whipple. Whipple cost more and you need to watch your height. Those were the reason for going procharger first time.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Procharger usually makes more power on top end. That is its only advantage IMO. It looks like a bolt on kit. And the intercoolers are not very resistant to salt and will fail eventually if run in salt water.

The Whipple has way more bottom end torque which is what helps get a boat up on plane. The Whipple also uses an integrated manifold/intercooler made of cupronickel which is barely bothered by salt water, and looks like it came from Merc . Whipples kit are also easier to tune since they are more integrated with the factory electronics and fuel systems.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Light boat, big power, procharger would be my choice. As said it is going to come in easier, be a bit easier on the drive. The whips are responsive and tq right of the get. I love the way my truck runs with the PC, so I am biased but, they are by no means slouches in the HP department, will be hard to beat for overall top end HP

John jr
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Registered

With the whipple you have to go easy on throttle since you have instance power
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered

I figured the torque curve was mire low end. I was curious on if one would give more mph then another if both were set at exact boost levels. What I'm surprised by is my M3 oil fed unit gives me 7lbs at like 2,800 trying to plane boat at like 65% throttle. And sees 9lbs at full throttle. But then again... I have a 25ft boat and all depends on pully size and heads, cam,ect.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAD4U
I figured the torque curve was mire low end. I was curious on if one would give more mph then another if both were set at exact boost levels. What I'm surprised by is my M3 oil fed unit gives me 7lbs at like 2,800 trying to plane boat at like 65% throttle. And sees 9lbs at full throttle. But then again... I have a 25ft boat and all depends on pully size and heads, cam,ect.
Your right, it all depends on pulley size and impellor size/ efficiency curve, Personally I lean towards the Procharger because thats what I own and run, as far as a bunch of un-needed torque down low, can't see the need for it (at least in a light boat), My 540 is making 900 ft lbs at 3500 and 780 ft lbs at 3000 with a procharger that everyone claims doesn't make any low end or mid range. How often do you nail any boat at idle where you need tq even earlier?? As far as looks and customer support, Whipple would win every time but I could give two ****ts about bling. I'm running stainless marine 3's with 5 inch tails too, they have no bling factor either but they don't crack and they last about forever, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 06-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

It's all in how you set up the Pro Charger.

Last edited by GPM; 06-29-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Your right, it all depends on pulley size and impellor size/ efficiency curve, Personally I lean towards the Procharger because thats what I own and run, as far as a bunch of un-needed torque down low, can't see the need for it (at least in a light boat), My 540 is making 900 ft lbs at 3500 and 780 ft lbs at 3000 with a procharger that everyone claims doesn't make any low end or mid range. How often do you nail any boat at idle where you need tq even earlier?? As far as looks and customer support, Whipple would win every time but I could give two ****ts about bling. I'm running stainless marine 3's with 5 inch tails too, they have no bling factor either but they don't crack and they last about forever, Smitty
Hey smitty. I got those afr heads on. Compression test went from 110 with procomps to 140 with afr's. gettin her all back together now. She should run a lot better.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

So my guess or opinion is that with a procharger you might get a Lil more top end out of your boat then. Wouldn't ya agree? Anyone beg the differ?