Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
How Bout Home Owners Ins in Fla?? >

How Bout Home Owners Ins in Fla??

Notices

How Bout Home Owners Ins in Fla??

Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default How Bout Home Owners Ins in Fla??

Was going to put this in the Bilge but w/all the insurance experts here..........

The wife and I are buying a house in Vero Beach and shopping for coverage. We are getting outrageous quotes due to construction and age of roof. Roof is near perfect but beyond their 15 yr old limit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary 772-913-0669
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

To funny, we are shopping in Merrit island and have been told the same thing, old roof no insurance!

Some quotes have been in the mid 5k range. Makes the older cheaper homes more expensive then newer higher priced ones.
Crazy
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Was going to put this in the Bilge but w/all the insurance experts here..........

The wife and I are buying a house in Vero Beach and shopping for coverage. We are getting outrageous quotes due to construction and age of roof. Roof is near perfect but beyond their 15 yr old limit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary 772-913-0669
Gary,

Get an inspection from a Licensed GC or Roofing Contractor. Also get a cert of compliance for High Velocity Hurricane Zone if you can....saved me thousands.

John
Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
To funny, we are shopping in Merrit island and have been told the same thing, old roof no insurance!

Some quotes have been in the mid 5k range. Makes the older cheaper homes more expensive then newer higher priced ones.
Crazy
Yep. We're at $2900. so far. Plan is to do the best we can, get in, replace the roof and add storm shutters and re-quote it.

Merrit Island is way cool. That area (Cocoa Beach) is our favorite weekend getaway. Did last weekend there. They had fireworks over the beach, 3 nights in a row.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Gary,

Get an inspection from a Licensed GC or Roofing Contractor. Also get a cert of compliance for High Velocity Hurricane Zone if you can....saved me thousands.

John
Already done that John. So far, it hasn't helped. We want the house, the seller is done w/concessions, awesome area (next door neighbors is worth twice as much) and we close in 3 wks pending any disasters.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Already done that John. So far, it hasn't helped. We want the house, the seller is done w/concessions, awesome area (next door neighbors is worth twice as much) and we close in 3 wks pending any disasters.
Gary, $2900 doesn't sound horrible... I'm at about $2100 in our house and I built it in 2005, so it's essentially up to current building code... That is thru USAA, who now won't write new policies in Florida. 3 years ago it was $1100, if it makes you feel any better. And from what I've heard, it's only going to get worse. Until the state changes some rules and quits approving rate increases for Citizens Ins, it will continue.

Tower Hill is good from what I've heard if you haven't tried them.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the roofing industry and a member of the Board of Directors for the Southwest Florida Roofing Contractors Association. What the insurance industry is doing is outrageous. Why should anybody install anything more than the cheapest possible 20 year 3 tab shingle roof if replacement is mandatory at 15 years? Our legislative body is working on this in Tallahassee, the roofing industry knows this is BS and we are trying to do something about it. This is nothing more than the ins co's trying to limit their liability and the homeowners are getting screwed.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Gary my wife is getting tower hill quotes today.

Also I wish I knew you were in Merrit island last weekend, we were there every day! Watched the last set of fireworks at JJ's, right in front of where the barge started.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked with this guy about a month ago when I got my new premium for this year. He actually talked me out of shopping and/or switching insurance. Very helpful.

727-451-3158

Patrick Quinlivan
Sales Executive
PersonalLines
Bouchard Insurance
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That insurance is only the half of it. Now go get some flood insurance quotes. We have been here in Grant for almost a year leasing and renters through USAA whom sent it to someone else anyways, Wind not Water is the reason they told us, is 450 per year with a measly 25k policy. Everything we covered here in Florida is about double.
BTW, I work in Vero Beach, getting ready to head that way in the next hour.....and do my 3.5 days a week.

I just hope we get out of here without making a claim again. Make sure you lock you boats up good down in Vero, even worse than up here.

Last edited by jvthundercat; 07-23-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.