Notices

mercruiser overheat

Old 07-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mercruiser overheat

hi guys i need help , i have 5.7L mercruiser 260HP engine and it overheats. I have cleaned the outdrive and made sure there was nothing blocking the water intake. I have also replaced the thermostat making sure it was not stuck. Now it over heats and i dont know what to do . Is there anyway i can flush the cooling system. The impeller is also good . How do you flush the cooling system also the engine is a 1991 with alpha outdrive. All help will be appreciated thank you ,
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to OSO.
First this thread is not in the right place. You should have it placed in a section that it more pertains to.
Have you checked the oil cooler? the water path runs from the drive to the oil cooler then to the engine. If impeller pieces, trash etc get clogged in the oil cooler the engine will not get much flow resulting in the very symptom you have described.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Did you replace the impeller in the outdrive?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Monster
yup guarenteed thats the problem
Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

yes i did but it was 2 years ago but on idle the water flow is good so i know the impeller is doing its job
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Welcome to OSO.
First this thread is not in the right place. You should have it placed in a section that it more pertains to.
Have you checked the oil cooler? the water path runs from the drive to the oil cooler then to the engine. If impeller pieces, trash etc get clogged in the oil cooler the engine will not get much flow resulting in the very symptom you have described.
well the problem is that i dont know how the oil cooler looks like or what hoses go to it . is there any link or picture you can send to me to show me . Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Welcome to OSO.
also since my engine and outdrive is alpha 1 i dont think its has a second raw water pump inside the engine besides the outdrive impeller so impeller pieces can not be stuck in there as well as my engine is sea water cooled inside . so there is no heat ex changer or what the case might be for antifreeze cooling aka fresh water cooling
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
yup guarenteed thats the problem
yes i have 2 years ago tho but i checked and good water flow is coming in from the outdrive so i know its not that
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

A two year old impeller can go on you. Just because it is working at idle doesn't meant you do not have a cracked or busted blade. As normal maintenance after 2 years I would change it just to rule it out.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A two year old impeller can go on you. Just because it is working at idle doesn't meant you do not have a cracked or busted blade. As normal maintenance after 2 years I would change it just to rule it out.
right it might have enough left to spit some water in there. Check it and change it, and try again. Other than that, you would have a blockage somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.