Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Another starter, this time ring gear also... advice while engine/drive are out? >

Another starter, this time ring gear also... advice while engine/drive are out?

Notices

Another starter, this time ring gear also... advice while engine/drive are out?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another starter, this time ring gear also... advice while engine/drive are out?

I have always had starter issues on my baja H2X, even with the stock 454 MPI, I had moisture problems and had to rebuild a few starters. After putting in 583 ci, starter issues have been more frequent. Went with quality starters, and lasted longer. Another moisture problem it seems over the winter. Rebuilt starter went in, and after 3 hours of run time, started it and a bang, then starter just spinning. Mechanic says ring gear is missing teeth.

He is recommending a higher quality starter, forget the brand right now... any recommendations?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Registered

Buy an arco. They make a great starter. I had issues in my 24 outlaw with mercruiser starters and.with more compression and heavier springs I kept going through them. I ordered a unit from spider marine which was a HUGE mistake. It lasted about 5 starts. When I took it apart to figure out what happened I realized the planetary gears were plastic! Yes plastic! When I complained they sent me a bs email about them being oem quality. I'd highly recommend arco as it's the only starter I've had good luck with. They made in the us too, Florida I believe and reasonably priced. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so im having the same issue, which starter did you go with?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Tilton Super starter.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Where is your moisture coming from? I had a 99 H2X & never had any problems with moisture. Randy