Spinning hubs??? >

Spinning hubs???

Notices

Spinning hubs???

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinning hubs???

OK I keep spinning hubs on my boat and can't figure out what's up. I have a stock 502 with a bravo 1, my 21p runs fine just high rpms but my 23p keeps blowing hubs. I bought the 23 from a prop shop used, and the have replace the hub twice now. I have all the correct spacers and the prop is always tight but have no clue why it keeps happening. Should I just buy a new prop or what? My 21p is running between 5200 and 5500 rpms all trimmed with 2 people and 1/2 tank of gas. I would like it to stay around 5000-5200 maxed so when I have 5 or 6 people on board I will have enough rpms to play with. I am running mirage plus props. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

Are you 100% sure you are spinning the hub on the prop? Could be engine coupler going bad. I could see a hub going bad maybe once if it was old, but not multiple times. It is the torque-flo set up right, not a permanent hub.

The 23p puts more load on the motor at all times especially jumping on plane and that might be enough to slip the coupler.

I am just guessing as I am running mirage plus's on my boat and my built sbc's that are putting out about 450hp at the props, and I have never had an issue in two seasons.

Got some pics of the prop and hub when taken apart??

Also if you are interested, I have a 23p Turbo Vector(identical to the mirage plus) prop that I used to run before I built the motors and had to step up to 26p. It is like brand new, not even a scuff on it, trailing edges are still knife sharp, and still all shiny I am in fresh water. I would let it go for $200 plus the ride to you.

Last edited by MEANGREEN231; 07-19-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

No pics of the hubs, took the boat to the marina and he checked it over and said it was the hub both times. If it was the coupler I would think it would do it with the 21 also. I have had 5 of us guys on it (all 200lbs +) and it comes out of the hole like a banshee with no spin. Its weird but maybe I am wrong and the 23 just pushes that much more water that it would pin the motor coupler. I had Couplers go bad before and when the go normally they are done for and need replaced
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered

And I was babying it out of the hole when it went the last time... yes the last time it was a torque flow hub
Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure you have Mirage Plus? They have the square replaceable hub. The old Mirage has the pressed in rubber hub. The rubber hub is only good up to 300 HP max. If you have the square hub you should have the solid one, not the plastic. Post a photo if you are not sure.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The plastic/delrin hubs are only rated up to I think 350 or 400hp and you are just over that.
That being said, I run them with with my twin 502mpi's and have only cracked one in 5 years.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

I guess I need some advice on what I should buy for a 3 blade prop that will hold up.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zeek
I guess I need some advice on what I should buy for a 3 blade prop that will hold up.
Just for grins I threw the 23p on the boat, when I was out, I keep them on board as spares. The props run a hub insert very similar to the mirages. I had no problems what so ever and my boat is a scarab 29 with just over 900hp, I spun them up to 6200rpms, thats when the rev limiter kicks in.

Could the issue be that perhaps there is a crack in the prop itseld where the hub is pressed in? That might be something to look into.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

I guess I should just get my money back for the prop and buy a new one. The prop looked ok by the naked eye but i'm no expert. The shop should know whats going on, I am losing faith with them. I just wanted to save a buck and guess I should have just spent the extra 200 to start. I borrowed a prop once, and put a small ding in it so I no longer borrow props. This prop game sucks, all I want to do is get the max out of the boat and its starting to turn onto a pricey learning experience. I guess its how it is, first performance boat and all. The boat should run in the 70's and thats all I want.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Update: my prop shop is putting some hub in my prop from mercury. He said it is suppose to be stronger than those plastic hubs. They said they are bigger.... who knows I will try it anything i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.