Boat handling issues >

Boat handling issues

Notices

Boat handling issues

Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat handling issues

I am hoping someone can explain to why boats tip so bad.

This has happened to me two times now, once in a 24ft V and once in my 30V that I have now. I am following a friend through a slow no wake and we start to take off he is about 50-80 feet in front of me and about 50 feet to my port.
I start to come out of the hole and get caught by his wake, it immediately tilts the boat hard to the starboard side, I am talking the whole side of the boat is in the water it feels like 90* but the angle is probably more like 45*. Very uncomfortable. Fist time it happened we were going a little faster and I could not turn to starboard, do to a wall so I thought just ride it out the boat will right itself, what felt like for ever was probably only 3-5 seconds it didn't so I let off the throttle and let the boat drop back in the water after collecting ourselves we continued on. Very scary. Second time it happened in the bigger boat it was worse same exact thing I took off saw the wake thought I was in front of it but wasn't. This time the only way out I saw was to turn hard the starboard and apply lots of power. That worked too. I guess my main question is why does this happen, is it because the V is out of the water allowing the boat to be pushed along the wake, is it because the wake and I are traveling at the same speed and I am just stuck. I guess I am looking for thoughts, I know let the smart a$$ comments begin. I do make it a rule not to be in that position anymore problem solved. I could kind of see happen on the smaller boat, but was really surprised when it happened on our bigger boat, we have been in some pretty rough stuff and never felt unsafe boat is very stable. At the time it also seemed unsafe to turn hard the other way port, but maybe that is what should be done instead.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My scarab sport use to do the same thing periodically. No rhyme or reason but my rear end sure as hell would get tight. Ended up changing the motors due to a blown power head but it seemed to be a combination of lose steering and the outdrives adjusted wrong.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Maybe you need to try the same technique as steering through chine walk, you steer towards the the side of the boat that's rising, like turning into a slide in your car.