Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Removing clear coat from chrome trailer rims >

Removing clear coat from chrome trailer rims

Notices

Removing clear coat from chrome trailer rims

Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing clear coat from chrome trailer rims

Previous owner sprayed chrome trailer rims with clear coat and it's starting to peel and dull. Looks like s%it. Trying to figure out the best product to remove it as the rims look great underneath where it's peeling.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Have you tried a pressure washer?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered

No because it is really on there across 99% of the rims. Even where it is flaking, the edges are still well adhered.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pressure washer might still work, specially if you start catching some edges. And to be honest no amount of pressure on a normal pressure washer is going to hurt them. Other than that, maybe somebody that knows something about paint could say, but I would try laquer thinner, not mineral spirts the tru laquer thinner, that strips off a lot of stuff. otherwise maybe try gas first and work your way up. But start using chemicals you better protect the rubber somehow.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You can usually replace a trailer rim for $100 bucks or so. They are somewhat expendable.

I just painted mine with www.dipyourcar.com stuff and am happy with the results.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have stripped some with that spray on paint stripper, NAPA is were I got the stuff from.... worked great...
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Plastic media blaster. We use it to remove epoxy paint from F18 hydraulic motors for the flap system. The base material is a simple aluminum forging and the stuff works by impacting the aluminum and squashing which acts like a wedge under the coating. It's gentle enough that we use a Sharpie pen to write a serial number on them for tracking through the facility, paint them with epoxy and when they come back in for overhaul and we blast them to remove the paint,the Sharpie markings will still be intact because the media doesn't damage the base material.