Help! 07 496 no crank no start >

Help! 07 496 no crank no start

Notices

Help! 07 496 no crank no start

Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 07 496 no crank no start

What's going on guys my buddy got 97 Baja with a 07 496 he jump started some guy started the boat ran fine went to the dock shut it off and it wouldn't restart . Brought it to a well known marina they said it needs a ECM but they said the boat runs beautiful if you jump something out but they won't say what they did. From my experience when a ECM goes its dead I've never heard of jumping something out to make it run. Fuel pump comes on seems like it has injector pulse but no spark. Also you hear starter solenoid clicking like a bad starter (they claim starters fine and that's normal due to ECM ) then it will crank normal after a few key cycles. Checked all plugs and harness and grounds . I'm lost please help!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505316[/ATTACH]

Check 4 fuses in photo one is for the spark Module/Amp.
Attached Thumbnails Help! 07 496 no crank no start-fuses.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Thanks for response . All fuses are good . I have no idea what they could of jumped to "remote start" it as they said.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it sounds like the slave solonoid in the starter circut,they commonly fail and cost about 20 bucks.if you hear it clicking it is probibally bad providing your battery is fully charged and all the connections are good.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered

Hmm it clicks like a bad starter then starts cranking fine . Starter was tested and checked out ok. Like I said fuel pump is coming on and when cranking injectors have a pulse . It's just weird to me that it needs a ECM for 2k but they just jump something out and it runs "beautiful" no problems . With my experience a ECM either works or don't work
Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Dustin at Whipple can often repair a bad ECM without having to purchase new.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have to ask are they bypassing the 90 amp fuse at the starter ? Not knowing what they did to "jump start" your boat but I would make sure they or you have a good 90 amp fuse at the starter. They go out all the time especially if they get wet. If you have DTS (not to go into a huge tech report here) but they go out if you try to start and restart without delaying your restart. its called a (so called) protection mode on DTS apps.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Registered

I will have to check that fuse. I have no idea what they could of possibly jumped to get it to run they would not say a thing besides it runs beautiful when you start it that way.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thought of something else wonder if your PCM (that's what it is called on the 496) is thinking the engine is flooded and your techs are putting the engine start in clear flood mode. A bad PCM u usually have something that stands out or a bunch of varies problems. They can range from a no start period,, some sort of running condition if it will start,, maybe reduced rpms, a warning alarm all the time, a running motor shut down after a certain amount of time and so on. The PCM controls air / fuel ratios, timing, spark, reduction mode and so forth.

When your motor is cranked do you have a tach reading ? No start and no tach reading is 99 % of the time a bad crank position sensor.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

Ok cool thanks alot I was thinking crank sensor i just thought it was weird they were able to have it running that's why I didn't think too much into crank sensor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.