Help me understand the Key West PR >

Help me understand the Key West PR

Notices

Help me understand the Key West PR

Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me understand the Key West PR

I can't be gone for a week. I've always went to a Poker Run on Friday night, ran Saturday, back home on Sunday.

How does the Key West Poker Run work?

Is there "the poker run day"

If I can only go for a couple days, when should I go. Will be running a boat.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It's a one-way Poker Run. There are usually several departures during the week, Tues/Wed/Thurs/Friday options. The big Poker Run Party is on Saturday night. That's when you draw all of your cards, dinner, party, bash, etc. etc.

You can leave as you want on Sunday or whenever. Some folks even have their trailer brought down to Key West and tow all the way back north. IF you are going to boat out of Key West on Sunday, you have to leave early enough before they close the harbor before the races start.

From www.flpowerboat.com :

Daily: Dockside continental breakfast for Key West Poker Run at Sea Isle Marina, 8am to 10am. Team photos and Powerboating In Paradise TV video coverage.
Departures: 10am. Lunch stops will be at Gilberts Key Largo every day at noon. (Post Card Inn, Islamorada will be added to Thursday schedule)
Fuel stops: Sunshine Key Marina. Available every day from 1- 4pm. Fuel 90 non-ethanol. High Octane race fuel available on special order basis.
Arrivals: Key West arrivals average between 3:30 to 5pm. No arrivals recommended past 5:30pm.
Welcome Party at Conch Republic Seafood Co., 7pm to 9pm. (Tuesday through Friday)

Friday Night: Sponsor Appreciation Party: Conch Republic - Featuring the Girls of FPC Swimwear Showcase, 4pm to 8pm.
Saturday: Fun Run to Boca Grande, 1pm - 5pm. Aerial re-shoots for boats missed earlier in week. (Alternate FPC Key West Poker Run Pool Party at Dantes 2pm-5pm)
Saturday Night: Key West Poker Run Dinner Party, Conch Republic 6:30pm and 8pm seatings. Key West Poker Run Winners announced. Awards at 9pm - 10pm.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-19-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqnopoFKSiU
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too didn't understand how hit worked until someone at the Boyne Thunder PR explained it to me I can't believe there's only one stop and that's for lunch in key largo right? And I believe I was told your entry fee does not include you dock fees in key west. If so what's it cost to dock down there a big based on a 40 footer.

Why would you have all those islands and not more stops??
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by s022mag
I too didn't understand how hit worked until someone at the Boyne Thunder PR explained it to me I can't believe there's only one stop and that's for lunch in key largo right? And I believe I was told your entry fee does not include you dock fees in key west. If so what's it cost to dock down there a big based on a 40 footer.

Because it takes pretty much all day to get a fleet that far; and stopping requires significant time in no-wake zones, docking, etc. Tides and currents affect the amount of water at any given time in different locations as well.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe it's $2-$3/ft in Miami assuming you put in at SeaIsle the night before as well as at KW Bight.

There are actually 2 lunch options on certain days, Gilberts & Islamorada. I've never been to Gilberts but everyone passes by it regardless.

Running WOT on the outside (or as fast as you choose) tends to overshadow unnecessary stops along the way. Guess it just depends whether you are a need for speed guy, what type of boat you're making the run in & or if this is your first time. I've been 2x & I'd say the next trip will be geared towards relaxing & enjoying the scenery along the way.

Both my KW PR's cost between $3500-$4000, departing on a Tuesday evening from Charlotte, NC towing to Daytona & getting a hotel, arriving in Miami Wed midday, Wed night in Miami, Thurs KW departure, stay in KW until Sunday, towed non-stop to Charlotte 13hrs first thing Sunday AM. This includes towing & boating fuel

It's not cheap & the trip has its high's & low's throughout but I'd still do it again.

Keep in mind my crew helped share in those expenses. I know many others that spend way closer to $10-12K for the trip (they usually arrive in KW Wed & depart Mon)

Not sure if the link below is viewable to others (he gave me special permissions to his site) but my good friend & crew member David Andrews put this video of our last trip together.

http://www.performance-images.com/Po...2488&k=wWtGMTq

Last edited by NASCAT; 08-22-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Because it takes pretty much all day to get a fleet that far; and stopping requires significant time in no-wake zones, docking, etc. Tides and currents affect the amount of water at any given time in different locations as well.
+1
Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the tide and currents, that makes since. I would like to do it one day, but will mostly likely wait til I have something closer to 40ft vs 30.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

I get the tide and currents, that makes since. I would like to do it one day, but will mostly likely wait til I have something closer to 40ft vs 30.
Why? We did it in a fiends 26 Sonic Prowler 1 yr. Obviously didnt run at the front of the pack, but had fun just the same. Took the boat by water back to Miami as well.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scarabman
Why? We did it in a fiends 26 Sonic Prowler 1 yr. Obviously didnt run at the front of the pack, but had fun just the same. Took the boat by water back to Miami as well.
25' Active Thunder with 4 guys, 2 weeks worth of luggage, and enough beer for a college football team did it a couple years back. They never more than a couple hundred yards behind the slower pack. Tropical storm was whipping up at the end of the weekend and they left a day early and they made it back to Miami solo as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.