454 7.4 330 hard to turn over when hot >

454 7.4 330 hard to turn over when hot

Notices

454 7.4 330 hard to turn over when hot

Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 7.4 330 hard to turn over when hot

1989 motors run great all day...new batteries all around...each motor has a starting and deep cycle. It seems to react the same with both motors...after I **** then of I can't start them for about an hour...when is fine for rafting up but something's not right here...what should I check? What will happen is I turn the key it turns over maybe one turn then able2 seconds later it starts. turning slowly gradually building up enough speed to start...and when the fi they are both solid ...no pumping of the throttle s...I had oit the new batteries in it thinking that was the problem...no change ..

Thanks harry
Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered

What's the timing set at.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by beaver 3
What's the timing set at.
I'm not sure never touched it...this issue developed out of nowhere to both motors... ...where should it be I'll check it
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

If both motors started having trouble at the same time it must be something they both have in common. Could be a problem with the battery switch, ground wires from the batteries to the switch, positive wires from the batteries to the switch. Look for corrosion on the wire terminals, loose terminals, etc. Yank hard on all the battery cables to see if they come apart. You could also try to use a pair of good jumper cables to bypass the wireing. If you can get to the starter on one engine attach the positive cable to the positive post on the starter and the other end to a battery positive post. Attach the ground cable to the negatve post on the same battery and the other end of the cable to the engine block. That will bypass any of the existing wireing. If that does not make a difference then you may
have two bad starters. Good luck.

Last edited by MACDAD260; 08-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

check the terminals on the posative and negative battery cabels,when they get some corrosian they cant carry the current.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Check connections & grounds really good, double check your timing but thats most likely not it being that its both engines @ the same time.
Sounds like its time for a set of starters, may as well use the smaller high torque staters they are way easier to fit in that small area you have to work in & I can get u a Bosch / Denso cheaper then an aftermarket OEM starter. PM me if you need anything I have a great direct connection through Bosch or Denso factory direct. Sounds like your drawing way to many amps if its starting slow then rolling faster & faster then it starts.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Like was said above if you have a battery switch check that. I replaced and checked everthing else b4 I found the switch defective.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Yup I'm with these guys. As temperature goes up so does resistance. It's up to you to find the resistance, starters, battery cables, terminals etc.