Need to empty fuel tank

Notices

Need to empty fuel tank

Old 09-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to empty fuel tank

Getting my cig back on the water after two full dry seasons plus this summer. Had to replace my mechanical fuel pumps, in doing so I realized how bad my fuel smelled. I really do not want to make any horsepower on what is in the tank.

My question is since I also have Holley Blue electric pumps for times of needed extra fuel, can I use these to drain their respective tanks? Will Holley pumps move the gas without burning out because of no pressure? Has anyone done this?

I tried to put a hose down the fill but I can't make it to the tank. Must be a screen in there.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You want a fuel transfer pump to elimanate the chance of spark and a grounding wire. You should be able to get these at a good auto parts store.

Wannabe
Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Did it yesterday, big holley pump, long hose, long leads and a battery
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I bought a little electric fuel pump from Advance Auto, $45 bucks or so and pumped my tanks dry and into 55 gallon drums. Fuel pumps are good at pushing fuel, not pulling it. I just inserted the fuel pump right where the first fuel filter exists in the lines to the boat's fuel pumps. 2' long inlet hose and 15" output hose worked fine with some hose clamps, and plenty of fresh air. I mounted a toggle switch for the pump in a sealed plastic box so no external sparks were anywhere near the fumes.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sparks Ya thats kind of why I want to use the Holley pumps that are there now because they are in the system, grounded and the switch is up at the helm.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Use your existing Holley pumps. Just be sure to filter the fuel first so no trash goes in the pump and tears it up. Replace the filter when you are done.
Eddie
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Like Brian said. Auto parts store Mr. Gasket 38 dollar electric fuel pump comes with an inline fuel filter - buy 3/8 brass fitting and extra fuel line or whatever size your boat fuel line is.

Hook the extra fuel line to your fuel line coming out of the tank. Hook the electric fuel pump to your jump box over board or thru your drain plug hole outside. We use an outboard primer bulb to prime the electric fuel pump when we hook it to the jump box.. Electric fuel pumps like to push fuel rather than pull it hence the primer bulb to prime.

I would not use your boat side electric fuel pumps as most fuel tanks that sit for periods of time will have some water in it. Water is not good for electric fuel pumps plus any smaller micron crap & varnish that's in your old fuel will pass thru the filter that's smaller than the micron rating of the fuel filter itself. The smaller crap could get stuck in the fuel pump.

Last edited by BUP; 09-06-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks guys
Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I powered mine with a jump-box. Wrapped the bare wire leads around the alligator clips and taped them up good back on their plastic mounts on the jumpbox. If you have a jumpbox with an on/off switch, no need for a toggle switch.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

Use the holley pump, I've used my for 8 years a couple times a week on jobs for old fuel and water in fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.