Notices

9'6'' boats

Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 9'6'' boats

hi guys, new here. got a question, hauling a 32' intrepid from long island to miami for a friend of mine. the boat is 32' he says 10,000lbs and 9'6" wide. ive researched all i can on this and cant find the every day answer. do i really need a permit for this going down the eastern coast? has anyone on here done a trip similar to this? what did you do? i know there has to be some boats from the south coming up to alex bay for the poker run every year... ive sent mercury permits an email but need to wait until tomorrow for an answer. but that will be the legal answer but how many of you have hauled your own boats that are over 8'6" and what did you do? thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Black Thunders are 9'6" and multiple friends of mine haul them illegally for years with no problems. Prob because offshore style boats hide the width with the long length and the authority does not notice.

Its not legal though
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

thats what i was curious. i am hoping i can do this with out needing to buy permits. have they ever gotten bothered with the weight? gross truck and trailer is 26,000 is DOT zone... i dont think my ecsb duramax will be 16,000 lbs but
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the trailer is as wide as the boat, it helps hide the boat width. If the trailer is narrower than the boat, it will catch the eye ( and most likely the five-oh's ). A friend tows a 9'11" express cruiser around this way.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion you wont have any issues I trailered mine from Dallas Texas To Lansing Michigan & all over Michigan to the local lakes without any issues. 31' Catamaran its 9' 6" wide weight will not be an issue unless you are 26,001 lbs & advertising commercial use. Personal use there are no restrictions look @ all the 85 year old men driving huge motorhomes across the country well over 26,001 lbs & they dont need anything more then a standard drivers license!! Yes I need a CDL in order to legally pull my bobcat on a trailer because it has a business name & in "for hire" hope I didnt confuse you. Drive safe!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Remember its gcvwr, not what it weighs over the scales for license issues. But now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I'm probably one of the worst offenders on here. Trailer down the parkway....oops, no lights, no plates, over width, over weight you name it. Only issue I had was on the parkway and that was a legit mistake.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

cool thats what i figured. well the shipment ended up dead and im pulling a 32' scarab down to FL. its under weight and 8'6 so i got nothin to worry about. just hoping i dont run out of fuel in WV again... all of a sudden the stations just ended...
Old 09-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I towed my dads Wellcraft coastal from Connecticut to VA. I think it is 9'10"

We didn't have any problems. We blew through all the express smart tag lanes though and got fined by EZ pass for not stopping with a trailer, but it was cheaper than the fines we would have gotten if an observant toll operator had picked up on our width
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a matter of how lucky you are...a wide load permit(with banner across back) is required, known people made it no problems, but the fines are hefty if caught...