Carbs or EFIs >

Carbs or EFIs

Notices

Carbs or EFIs

Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbs or EFIs

I know the difference of the two, but don't know if there is anything that I might not be aware of with either one as far as pro and cons. Out of my last 3 boats 2 were carb'd and 1 efi. I love that efi are turn key and hate that you have to prime or choke carbs. Have I had any problems with either, no. But I always see people having issues with carbs on big hp and sometimes flooding them.

I'm looking at a 38 ZX and the 2000+ models are efi which I want but the 99 and below are carbs which I don't really like but there are some better deals. As far as long term goes is there anything that i might be not seeing as far a general maintence, wintering/unwinterizing, or even upgrades on both carbs and efi's
Old 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Some upgrades are cheaper on carb. Cheaper and easier to work on carb. A properly tuned carb will run like efi. I hope to go back to carb on my next boat as I will be keeping it for a while.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

It's as much personal preference as anything. I am comfortable with both, but I'm running a carb as I'm looking for best top end numbers and the 4150 HP's are so tunable that they run like EFI. I've got a big lopey cam and it idles at 700rpm in gear for hours going down the river without fouling the plugs or smelling gas in the boat. I can pull into a marina in the morning and come back in the late afternoon and hit the key and it fires instantly. The only draw back is that I boat anytime the lake isn't frozen too much and I don't have a choke so it takes a minute or two to warm up. Once the temp gets to 120 she's good to go. I'm running dual PV's so cruise fuel economy is pretty amazing. I did lock my timing at 34 degrees to get the idle to smooth out, but that seemed to help everything. FWIW
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1200+ hp love my carbs :-)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by skydog
1200+ hp love my carbs :-)
Shouldn't you be posting a high speed video or something.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Shouldn't you be posting a high speed video or something.
:-) :-) lol Yup by next week everything ready now!! :-) :-) New prop in hands tomorrow. 36":-)