Notices

Need expert Chevy truck advise

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Need expert Chevy truck advise

A few weeks ago I had my local dealer install a transmission cooler on my 2008, 5.3 Suburban (4 wd). It was a Chevrolet part and recommended in the manual for heavy towing. My previous Suburban came with it but this one did not and I haven't been doing any long distance towing but I hope to do more in the very near future.

Saturday was the first time I took it out of town. I was not towing. About 30 miles from home and traveling at 60 mph it started slipping like mad and by the time I got it pulled off the four lane it would not move at all. When I looked under the hood you could see the line going to the new cooler had come off! Transmission fluid all over the right side of the motor. I had a flat bed bring it, me,my wife and three Irish wolfhounds to the dealer that installed the cooler. Being Saturday they were closed.

Stopped by early this morning and talked to them and they said they would get it right in. I stressed that I was concerned about the condition of the transmission and told them I would soon be taking a long trip and towing my boat. (Velocity 280). They called a little while ago and told my wife it was ready. They had added fluid, refastened the hose and it shifted fine, come pick it up. I am worried as I can not believe it did not damage the transmission and that I am going to get a few 100 miles away and be sitting on the side of the road with a boat!

What do you Chevy experts think? Should I demand they inspect the internals in the transmission? Or am I wrong?

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automatic transmission uses fluid to shift. No fluid no shifting. The only thing that might have gotten hurt would be the pump , but I think as fast as you got it shut down you're fine. This is for all auto transmissions.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

They use fluid to hold pressure on the clutch packs also. No fluid, no pressure, = slipping clutches and heat.
Depending on miles and condition of the trans before this event I would say you will be fine. Wasn't good for it but I'd say if it drives and shifts ok you'll be fine. For extra assurance tell them to drive it with the tech 2 and watch the apply pressures and shift times.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

Thanks, Guys.

What is a tech 2?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

tech 2 is a scan tool. if the line popped off and you lost fluid quick you will be fine. i doubt you burned any clutches since it was a abrupt release of fluid not a slow gradual slipping event caused by a bad seal or something of the sort. i doubt you hurt anything. if so its documented with the dealer and in your paperwork. if something happens make them eat it!!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Is it a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton, the 4l60e's have a aluminum pump housing with steels vanes/sintered iron rotor, low oil almost ALWAYS scarrs the pump some besides burning/glazing the fwd clutches. A 3/4 ton with a version of the 4l80e is a little different, cast iron pump, real pump gears, takes a little more to cause real damage. Had a customer that installed his own cooler on a 4l60e a few years ago , line came off on him, ran it out of oil. I told him to reattach line and see what happened (wasn't MY fault) and within 100 miles it spun the pump bshg and was toast. Had a customer with a 04 hd w 4l80e, he also patched together his cooler lines and had one blow off, drove truck till it wouldn't move and also idled it for 10 minutes, too stupid to read dipstick NOT registering. I stopped by his business and he said it wasn't low but wouldn't move, took 6 more qts to get it back to full, that was 1 1/2 years ago and he's still driving it fwiw, Smitty
Old 09-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone. Just picked it up, seems fine but I will take on a trip to Buffalo later this week and keep an eye on everything. That will be close to 200 miles round trip with a mix of driving conditions consisting of thruway, highway and city.

Smitty, it is a 1/2 ton. If there is pump damage, what do I look for and would it show up quickly?

Padraig

Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Padraig
Thanks everyone. Just picked it up, seems fine but I will take on a trip to Buffalo later this week and keep an eye on everything. That will be close to 200 miles round trip with a mix of driving conditions consisting of thruway, highway and city.

Smitty, it is a 1/2 ton. If there is pump damage, what do I look for and would it show up quickly?

Padraig

^^^^ listen to smitty,,he is a trans guy,,i would have that dealer give to a guarantee until the suburban hits 100k for that trans to be ok..you should have taken pictures o fit on the side of the road and on the tow truck for proof..yes it may be ok now but knowing what i know i have seen what heat can do to the inside parts of those tran's with all the plastic cage bearings being melted from not having enough fluid in the tran,s
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Rule # 1 never go to dealerships period!!!!
Ok I'm not saying that's every dealership, I'm not that mean.... I have had many bad experiences that I don't trust any of them. I am fortunate enough to know how to do my own work, electronically, engine and trans. But smitty seems to know a bit. Sounds like you will be okay. For the record I had a door catch fire and engine over heat and lock. And found through the local hoodlums they were "trying" to blow the trans. Neutral drops doughnuts. I was pretty heated to say the least.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

I have pics of the fluid all over the engine, the dis-connected hose and the truck sitting on the flat bed. Good quality as I always have a DSLR camera with me.

Padraig

Originally Posted by FIXX
^^^^ listen to smitty,,he is a trans guy,,i would have that dealer give to a guarantee until the suburban hits 100k for that trans to be ok..you should have taken pictures o fit on the side of the road and on the tow truck for proof..yes it may be ok now but knowing what i know i have seen what heat can do to the inside parts of those tran's with all the plastic cage bearings being melted from not having enough fluid in the tran,s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.