Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo I, sometimes both forward & reverse, sometime only forward, sometimes neither.. >

Bravo I, sometimes both forward & reverse, sometime only forward, sometimes neither..

Notices

Bravo I, sometimes both forward & reverse, sometime only forward, sometimes neither..

Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I, sometimes both forward & reverse, sometime only forward, sometimes neither..

Well everyone, ive had a problem going into reverse with my drive all year. I had the drive off over the winter (i know this is going a while back), after the new motor install i aligned the motor and put the drive back on, which was a PITA! it took a while but it went on, never had one that hard to go on before. Almost immediately the boat wouldnt go into reverse. Sometime it would, but normally only after sitting for a while in neutral. usually getting to the boat in the morning i would have reverse (uusually meaning 75% of the time), but once i shifted into forward, i normally wouldnt have it again. i read about it, and adjusted the shifter cable under the hatch (the red side) i got reverse to work more often, but it seemed if i adjusted it too much i wouldnt have forward, so i left it where i thought it was good. went into forward and reverse a bunch at the dock, and it seemed ok, though going into forward it seemed to take a second to shift. Seems like reverse now worked a little more often, but its still a crap shoot...now i had it probably 50% of the time. well i went out about a month ago, and while trying to dock, i didnt have forward OR reverse! oh Sh!+! turn off the boat, let it sit a bit, came back and what do you know, i have forward but no reverse. this intermittent problem is really making docking nervewracking, especially when trying to dock at a restaurant, i end up looking like a fool. is i possible i bent something when putting the drive back on? not sure where to go from here....thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

You probably have a lower shift cable going bad or something is way out of adjustment. Having a difficult time installing the drive could be a tell-tell sign of something wasn't right from the start. I would start from scratch and setup the shift cable. Here is the link of how to do it and the tools needed.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/app...ift-adjust.pdf
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered

awesome Alldodge, thanks! ill give this a go.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep yur shift cable is stretched and not doing what it was designed to do..
Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Registered

could be linkage inside of drive. have to drain drive to pull off backcover. you have to pull drive to change, so reset cable by tech manual. is it hard to shift, lever feels like dragging, sign of linkage worn.