Digital Ignition Control Box!!! >

Digital Ignition Control Box!!!

Notices

Digital Ignition Control Box!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Ignition Control Box!!!

Anyone using a digital ignition box w/rev limiter and 12 sparks/shots per plug VS a anolog ignition box ???? I have had 2 brand new Max Volt MV-D6 blue boxes and both are no good...I hear that MSD's version of the digital box is also no good!!???? I purchased mine from KE Performance and they were I guess built by Hardin Marine !!!! Anyone having good luck///bad luck??????????????? Mike-----Tampa Bay!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running a basic digital 6 box from MSD so far so good..also using their matching coil...
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510575[/ATTACH]

Daytona Sensors. Very nice! Digital, RPM LIMITERS, Ignition curves matching Merc, 3 D ignition curves custom with Interface cable and software. It also comes with ignition coil. Underwriters Certification for Marine. If I can help with any more, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Digital Ignition Control Box!!!-dsc00495.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm running the MSD 6M-2 with their separate rev limiter box, HVC coil and distributor. I'm running 10:1 with a pretty big cam and the timing locked at 34 degrees. It runs perfect, I can idle down the river for hours without loading up the plugs and I have hit the 6k limiter several times and it doesn't pop or cut out hard. I just checked the plugs before I winterized the boat and they look amazing and this is on a carbureted boat. I've heard a lot of negative on the MSD stuff, but you couldn't prove it by me. I've thought about getting a more sophisticated setup so I could alter timing based on MAP input but it runs so good now and if it pulled any harder my Bravo would get blown to bits.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Thanks to all your input guys---KE Performance finally answered me today, after 3 weeks----they tested my Blue Max-Volt--MV-D6 box and said it was no good---I have a brand new engine and this box only had 12 hours on same---as my new engine----Awaiting for them to test same-I also bought a new one--same results----no goood---SOOoooo they are going to send me a MSD Analog box-to get me on the water---I guess some day the digital will be better ?????? The Blue Max box also had a system where it would retard the timing on starting--and I think that is the problem--but I don't know-----trying to start same-huge backfires out the exhaust only-not the carb---Maybe the basic digital box would be better---more hotter spark BUT I just want to get on the water---The rain has stopped here in Florida!!!! I guess in the uture I should check out the Daytona series stuff-------------Thanks-Mike -- Tampa Bay
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the Crane Digital Fireball Boxes. Built in limiters, no issues. Im happy with them. Had the MSD 6M-2 analog boxes, those worked ok, until well, they failed. Twice. Two boxes in 2 seasons. Ditched them for Crane. My next purchase will be Daytona Sensors.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have a old crane Marine fireball , I use on the dyno. Just so you know; the engineer for Daytona, designed the original one for crane. But as I was told by the one owner of the at time of making me a WD. He tried to get crane to up graded to a full digital, cost was the issue. Now it is with all good parts, remember on the crane you could add the knock retard from Livorsi. Daytona, was going to add it, no one wanted it and the supplier shut their doors.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered

OK----changed over the ignition system today from the Max Volt to MSD--------SAME F-------THING--backfires out the exhaust---spins like a top-give her a squirt of gas--Booom out the exhaust-----Sooooo It can't be the box???? This is the 3rd brand new box I have put on her???
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1stoutlaw
OK----changed over the ignition system today from the Max Volt to MSD--------SAME F-------THING--backfires out the exhaust---spins like a top-give her a squirt of gas--Booom out the exhaust-----Sooooo It can't be the box???? This is the 3rd brand new box I have put on her???
Are you using a thunderbolt distributor, if so you may have to index the rotor? If the Max Volt is like the Daytona or Crane box, I can guarantee, you rotor is out of phase using the any digital box. Please clarify, control box and rotor.

Mark
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just looked at the installation instructions; nothing about phasing rotor, so I do not know.
Is this a new build, rebuild, or something that was running great and the change over has caused this? If you have a new cam, did you double check firing order, 7 4 swap. Sounds stupid; but I have to ask. What is your timing doing up to the point of miss- fire? Just try to keep it simple, and go check everything, it kind of sounds like the timing is retarding it self from your base timing once rpm increases. I do not want to mislead your troubleshooting, sending you all over the place.
See what your timing is doing first, before anything else.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.