Thinking of running a crossover

Notices

Thinking of running a crossover

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of running a crossover

So I'm thinking of running a crossover for looks. I would like to get rid of the Merc thermostat housing and water pump to clean up the engine. I just have a 400HP N/A 468 and boat has not gone past 67MPH so I don't think I should have water PSI problems. Will this just be a quick and easy bolt on for me to clean up the engine?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Here's mine bro , love it .

Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by the deep
Here's mine bro , love it .

Now that's what I'm talking about!! Very beautiful clean looking engine Deep!!! My engine looks like a freaking Octopus right now!

So it looks like you also have Gils? So do you just run from the thermostat to bottom of manifold and then manifold to riser up top?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Registered

If you have a standard water pick up off your bravo drive you should be fine. Through hull pick-up's and some of the Imco drives can/will increase the water pressure. Simply fixed with a pressure relief valve if that's the case though. Cpperformance sells a complete kit for around $300.00 The kit I bought came with a 1" bypass hose also. It's real clean looking too! Depending on how your belts are ran, you will probably have to replace the belts as well and lengthen or shorten your hoses to the exhaust manifolds.

Here's a pic of my crossover set-up. I use a different thermostat housing than the one that would come in the kit. The one in the kit is a nice piece though! Looks like The Deep and I use the same housings. I opened up my bypass hole on mine from 3/8' npt to 3/4' npt.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps78056fbb.jpg
Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes I'm just using the pick up off my bravo drive. The $300 kit from CP is the one I'm looking at. I was going to replace my belts and hoses, I have never replaced them and I don't know when the last time the previous owner replaced them.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be sure to use the one where you can use a by-pass and run a thermostat, if not hard pressed to get temps over 100, have run both ways...
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Could you explain how a cross over works. How does water circulate without a pump?

Padraig
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the sea pump moves the water,the cidculating pump slows it down.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I take it circulating pump and sea pump is different? I thought that a bravo set up had only the engine mounted pump?

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
I take it circulating pump and sea pump is different? I thought that a bravo set up had only the engine mounted pump?

Thanks,

Padraig
Your sea pump is located to the left/lower side of your motor (if you're looking at the front of the motor) The sea pump will supply more than enough water to your motor. On the right side of your motor next to the oil pan you'll see a oil cooler with a water hose that goes from the cooler to the circulating pump that you're going to replace with the crossover. With the circulating pump gone you'll plumb the hose from the cooler to the crossover.

The bypass feeds water out of the crossover through a hose up to the thermostat housing. There's an inlet and 2 outlets that sit above the thermostat on the thermostat housing. From there it feeds to your exhaust manifolds. If you didn't have a bypass, your exhaust manifolds wouldn't get any water until the thermostat opened up.

There's a real good pic of the bypass in the pic I posted.

Last edited by mustangmark; 10-31-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.