Air Getting Into Zeiger Steering :/ >

Air Getting Into Zeiger Steering :/

Notices

Air Getting Into Zeiger Steering :/

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Unhappy Air Getting Into Zeiger Steering :/

I installed my full Zeiger dual ram steering system in spring of 2010. It performed flawlessly the first season. Then it started to get air into the system after every good run. Enough air to give it about an inch of play. Right now there is about two inches of play when I push the drive back and forth. All of the fitting connections have been checked for tightness several times. I installed a Latham fluid reservoir which did not help. Zeiger customer support had no ideas. I am tired of constantly having to bleed the system. Most of the air is coming out of the rear of the starboard cylinder when I bleed it. I'd like to look inside that cylinder for any damaged seals and then seal the fittings on it with teflon tape. Are they easy to rebuild? I've run this by this and other forums with no solution. Any fresh ideas as to what could be my problem would be appreciated. There is a fluid cooler on the boat. I am not losing fluid. The fluid appeared aerated last time I bled it. The power steering pump on the 525 is very expensive and not a part that you want to replace without being certain that it is the problem. This engine (and pump) have about 200 hours on them.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Registered

I still have this problem that no one can solve. After a hard run I have play in the steering. Right now there is about 5" of play that will need to be bled out before I run the boat. It happens more after a hard run in big water. The fluid is not aerated. No fluid is being lost. This is really frustrating. We have some new faces here so maybe someone has an idea what I should do?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

What are you using for a cooler? It has to be pulling air in from somewhere if that's ok. Maybe re seal the rams?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
What are you using for a cooler? It has to be pulling air in from somewhere if that's ok. Maybe re seal the rams?
It's the cooler that comes with the 525. Is resealing the rams easy and something I can do myself?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Nothing to do with your steering but it looks like you still have the bypass hoses on your CMI's? There was a Merc service bulletain calling for them to be removed to increase flow.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I would look at the helm, somewhere your bleeding off pressure. If your rams were leaking I think you would be losing fluid.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a P/S pump pressurized system correct ? I cannot see it getting air in with no leak and it ? strange
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Call Latham

The initial Mercury side of the system can be diagnosed as a Latham "problem". The Latham guys are helpful and really know their chit...
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Nothing to do with your steering but it looks like you still have the bypass hoses on your CMI's? There was a Merc service bulletain calling for them to be removed to increase flow.
That is because my headers never get hot so I left the hoses and restrictors in place so as not to increase my chances of reversion by increasing water flow unnecessarily.

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I would look at the helm, somewhere your bleeding off pressure. If your rams were leaking I think you would be losing fluid.
I've checked the helm fittings several times. I don't know what else I can do with it. Having it rebuilt would be an expensive guess.

Originally Posted by ezstriper
this is a P/S pump pressurized system correct ? I cannot see it getting air in with no leak and it ? strange
Yes and yes, strange!

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Call Latham
The initial Mercury side of the system can be diagnosed as a Latham "problem". The Latham guys are helpful and really know their chit...
I will call Latham. Zeiger has great customer support but they were lost on this one.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Is there a vent on the reservoir?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.