Oberg oil filters

Notices

Oberg oil filters

Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Oberg oil filters

We run these on the race boat and i have always liked the concept. Whats the pros and cons of running these on a performance pleasure boat? I really like the ability to see whats going on in the motor and whats going through it.
Attached Thumbnails Oberg oil filters-oberg.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i used the oberg filter on my drag boat years ago and it got checked after each run.i would not use it in a pleasure boat because it can get cloged pretty easily.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I am thinking about putting them on a pair of brand new LSX's i have on the way. I change oil at pretty high intervals anyway so i am more interested on what they can tell me about whats going on. I agree, I dont think they would probably be very good for long term filtration. Wondering what the absolute cut off would be on terms of use/hours. Or are these really best left to drag motors.Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, may not be a good long term thing to use. I have pretty much gotten away from Fram HP and Wix Racing filters, if my customers can stand buying a System One Billet, oil filter. You can get them with a by-pass or not. I use the non-bypass due to spikes and differential pressure between filter and block, from in and out of throttling. They offer some different micron elements.
On my dyno, I use a Holley fuel filter, which is 6" dia with a very fine screen in it, before a wix hp-6 style oil filter. It catches; everything you can actually see a decrease in oil pressure, if you do not clean it after break-in, after that it flows the oil with no issues. Once the oil has all the crap caught from it, the filter remains clean.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

In Eds Talon that we raced he checked the Oberg each time we fired it up. Those were high rev Supercat motors and got freshened up every couple races. I was surprised at the stuff in the screens but i guess its doing its job and generally thats what passes through a motor on first fire up. After the first run they stayed pretty clean but when we did have problems i remember our builder knew exactly what was getting ready to go just by looking at any particles with a magnifying glass.

so . . . not good moderate regular use huh. Makes sense, just thought I'd check.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
We change our HP 6 filters about every 10-15 hrs. They catch plenty of stuff and we cut them open to keep informed on what is going on in the engine. We change the Mobil 20-50 MC oil at about 30 hrs. The Fram filters are cheap compared to the $12 qt oil X 24 qt! The only reason we never used the Oberg filter is because we have a lot of rigging going on around the KE oil filter mount/thermostat housing. Like the oil temp and oil pressure senders, water hoses in and out of oil coolers and the oil lines. Also no clean up when you change the filters.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 12-05-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Registered

the sabre marine diesels used them back in 80's. they had spacer insert to run both coarse and fine screens to reduce clogging, along with bypass and restriction sender for alarm light also.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
I agree, may not be a good long term thing to use. I have pretty much gotten away from Fram HP and Wix Racing filters, if my customers can stand buying a System One Billet, oil filter. You can get them with a by-pass or not. I use the non-bypass due to spikes and differential pressure between filter and block, from in and out of throttling. They offer some different micron elements.
On my dyno, I use a Holley fuel filter, which is 6" dia with a very fine screen in it, before a wix hp-6 style oil filter. It catches; everything you can actually see a decrease in oil pressure, if you do not clean it after break-in, after that it flows the oil with no issues. Once the oil has all the crap caught from it, the filter remains clean.
mark,i like the system ones also,i went to them over the oberg because it made less mess and could be checked quicker [and easier] .
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by xinlisuzhi
Wondering what the absolute cut off would be on terms of use/hours. Or are these really best left to drag motors.Thanks
I think if wanting to use an Oberg, you would just have to monitor what is being captured in it. You will also see a decrease in oil pressure, if flow is becoming restricted. Once all of the crap is captured, it will stay fairly clean afterwards. Marine engines are not driven like are vehicles are, dirty road conditions, slow speed, cheap oil and if you have any type of maintenance schedule, the oil will not reach the dirty point. Now if you start to fail a part; perfect opportunity to find it.
If I had an Oberg, I would use it, just find a easy access for servicing it. If had to buy, I would go to the System One or equivalent. Just wanted to be clear on the long term use could restrict oil flow and cause failure.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

what is the System One system? I'm only familiar with the Obergs because of the race boat. ireally want the best for the LSx's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.