Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150 >

Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Notices

Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Just thinking about the trip we will be taking this spring to Fl from Wi. My truck pulls the boat great even though I scaled in at the upper 16K mark one time. When we make these trips, it turns out that we bring way more then we need to. The bed of the truck will be packed with tools and just in case items. The front of the boat will have coolers, food, luggage and other stuff we want dry. All this leads to excessive weight over the rear wheels. Since I'm installing the EOH system now I started looking into WD systems. Any real world opinions out here? I want something quiet if I go down this route. Air bags is also on the table since I don't need sway control. Though since this truck has a factory helper leaf that needs to make contact for extra strength i'm not sure Ford likes these. Experienced comments please.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What is your tongue weight and overall towed weight?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What is your tongue weight and overall towed weight?
Never weighed the tongue itself. I know it's 10K boat, trailer, full fuel and w/contents. My guess is about 10% tongue normally. With all the extras in the front of the boat for this trip add another 250lbs. Keep in mind I probably put another 500LBS plus in the bed of the truck. She's sitting down.You can bet I'll find some crappy construction zones somewhere in this 1200 mile trip to get things bouncing.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with the Firestone Air Bags and see how that helps.

Wannabe
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have firestone air bags and recently added torklift quick disconnect stable loads. the combo of the two is great when carrying my truck camper and towing my boat. in your case the torklifts would probably be more than enough.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to say but it sounds like you need a new truck. Worst case scenario, if you're ever in an accident you can bet your insurance company will investigate and if you're over weight, it won't be good.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a 2007 F-150 crew cab with the 5.4.It had the factory tow package and towed pretty well. I added air bags to it and it really helped out. I'd definitely recommend them not only for leveling out the truck but also for making it more solid and stable when towing. I never towed my boat with it because I had another truck but I did tow a 24' car trailer with electric brakes and weight distributing hitch.

I would also go with the WD hitch. Sounds like you are going to be over your trucks rated tow capacity and should probably have a bigger truck but if not, then do every thing you can to make yours as safe as possible. Electric over hydraulic brakes will make a big difference too.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

ive never had a f-150 but air bags on my duramax were the shiz! I hate towing with out air bags.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
ive never had a f-150 but air bags on my duramax were the shiz! I hate towing with out air bags.
Thanks for gracing us with your expert knowledge garnered over your 3 years of having a driver's license. I'm sure all your customers appreciate your astute preparations during your illegal tows.

Back to the original topic. I would not tow 10,000 lbs. with a half-ton anything, rated for such or not. You can't band-aid a truck up to a higher capacity.

My thoughts:
You can't go wrong with airbags on any truck. I've posted about such many times. I am on my 4th consecutive truck with them.
I also had a WD hitch setup for my truck/trailer several years back. It was an aluminum bolt together I-beam trailer that flexed a lot. Such transferred a lot of bounce to truck. The WD hitch made for a much better tow, even though I was within weight rating. Later, I upgraded to a dually, and no longer used the WD hitch setup. Then, I upgraded to a welded Myco trailer and towing is also much better sans all that flex.

These guys rent duallies. I know they do not have national locations, but I'd look into finding a similar company.
http://www.trianglerentacar.com/index.php/rent-a-truck/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-17-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Ok, need to clarify. Total weight was 16,800lbs on a recent trip to FL. My truck unloaded with me in it scaled 6180#. Subsequently, the trailer weight was below the 11,200 lbs limit. (SuperCab 145" 3.73:1 Ratio). Now, if that scares you, turn in your man card.

Brian, I have that same flex with my aluminum trailer. What system did you use? Did it squeak? I make this trip non-stop (no over nights) taking turns driving with the wife. (believe it or not I trust her in construction zones also) so sleep is needed for all of us. What about approaching steep entrances? Did it bind. Probably going with the bag idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.