Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Tire Recommendation For New Trailer >

Tire Recommendation For New Trailer

Notices

Tire Recommendation For New Trailer

Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tire Recommendation For New Trailer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517969[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517970[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517971[/ATTACH]

I swapped trailers for the DCB with one I found at Mystic. It has Falken 285/60/18's on it now. Several are rotting, several in good shape. The trailer has torsion axles and the boat feels like it's on a magic carpet. I'm looking for recommendation on tires for the trailer. I've got several new falken's on there and they look really good but I'm most interested in not blowing tires. I'm thinking I might be better off to get some E rated truck tires. The project started off simple until the boat did not fit the trailer when I got back and EB marine had to custom fit it. Then my garage opening was too low with the trailer with the upgraded axles. I spent a long weekend with a sawzall raising the header and installing a new garage door anyway I ended up with a very nice trailer. I guess I'll enjoy it since it looks like there are no buryers for the rig.
Attached Thumbnails Tire Recommendation For New Trailer-photo-1.jpg   Tire Recommendation For New Trailer-photo-2.jpg   Tire Recommendation For New Trailer-photo-2-.jpg  

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You definitely want E-Rated LT tires. I don't know what you will find in that size though.

Are you married to those wheels? They do look great. But trailers catch curbs. It happens, and often there is no way to avoid it. The brand new Formula 38 in Poker Run Village in KW looked spectacular and racy with the custom trailer and really appealing wheels and tires. That was until I saw the other side, and the wheels curbed up bad.

If you are not married to those wheels, going back to a 16" wheel with a taller tire is going to give you more forgiveness in the curb department, and a lot more flex when turning.

There are lots of E-rated LT tires. But not too many in that size. Here are some choices:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...60&diameter=18

Of those choices I pulled in a 30 second search; I'd go with the Yokohama.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Second that- some E rated LT tires. Stay away from Chinese made ones though.

Wannabe
Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I think I want to keep the wheels. The fenders are extra wide and I think narrow wheels would look odd on the rig. You may be able to see it in the photos if you look close. I found Nitto Terra Grapplers in LT 285 60 18. That's the only tire I could find in an LT in that size. Pretty expensive but maybe worth it? Anyone with an opinion on Nitto's
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

No personal experience, but I believe them to be of softer compounds than other E-rated tires.

Spend some time here and compare the tread wear ratings. Higher rating means harder rubber compounds which I would lean toward for trailer use.
http://www.safercar.gov/Tire

Besides the tires I linked above, also check www.coopertires.com .
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nittos self destruct ... stay away...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fthj76ft_tg i like the falkans
Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the falkens gave pretty good service as they are 8 years old. They are protective of the rim. General makes the Grabber AT2 in this size in a D or E load range with a 600 treadwear rating. The toughest thing I have to do to them is to just about jackknife the rig backing up to get it in the garage. I cringe when I see the stress on the trailer wheels tires and axles. Looks like it really stresses the sidewalls of the tires. There are lots of choices in service 116 range. Coopers, Yokohamas, etc... Vulcan Tire online will sell 6 for 863 shipped pretty good deal. General thumbs up or down.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Generals are decent tires. They were OEMs on Ford Superduty's for many years. ONLY go with E-load range though. You can't have too much tire.

As for backing into your driveway...
I had this problem too. I widened the entrance to my driveway by 8 feet to one side which helped a lot. It was not hard to do, but then again, I had access to a free skidsteer thanks to my BFF.

Also, if the street/driveway entrance is pavement, you can throw out a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water to get a little more slip on the tires during the turn.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a 275/65/18 lots of choices in that size for a good LT load range E tire. It is only 10mm narrower I doubt you will even notice. Tire is a total of 1/2" taller, but it will only raise your total height 1/4 of an inch.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way it looks like you are missing a lug nut on the left rear wheel. I am guessing it is replaced already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.