Notices

transporting 21ft boat

Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transporting 21ft boat

Can anyone recommend transporting a 21 ft boat from San Rafael California to New York.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

A boat of that size would be best put on a flat bed or drop deck trailer as a LTL (Less Than Truckload) load, but you'll need to have the proper equipment in order to hoist it on and off the trailer at both ends of the trip. Another concern would be the way they secure the trailer while not damaging it if they are not familiar with hauling boats and trailers. I would also suggest paying the money to have the boat professionally shrink wrapped.

If there are any flatbed owner operators or trucking companies in the area talk to them and get their rates or call some specialized freight brokers.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Ok,thanks the boat is at a dealer so loading it wouldn't be a problem.Thanks again
Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it on a trailer??
Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Yes it is
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

That is a LONG transport for an assumingly used, lower value boat. Hope the purchase price makes it worth while.

A Uship tow out may be one of the cheapest but that would be very hard and risky on a trailer that was not prepped well.

Might check with a MasterCraft, Malibu or SeaRay dealer. All their boat transports would be coming out of Vonore, TN so they may be looking for a backhaul. These would be transporters that have the equipment and experience and may give a decent rate as far as Vonore. Once there, you are in the boat building capital of the US so there will be tons of runs headed further east or it may be close enough you go pick it up there?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

Werner Enterprises is who hauls for Brunswick/Sea Ray but it is one of their specialized devisions and the main Werner phone number people do not know about hauling boats FWIW. Maybe Brunswick/Sea Ray has a contact name and number because the back haul to TN is a good idea but getting it from TN to NY may prove to be problematic if all the trucks are fully loaded.

uShip are the numbnuts on the TV show "Shipping Wars". I am certain there are legitimate trucking companies that are on uShip but remember it is an internet service that offers a lowest bidder service.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 02-23-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are lots of RV camper trailer manufacturers in northern IN, and they usually hire retired guys with duallies to drag their new trailers to their dealers. Then these pickups head back empty to northern IN. You might be able to arrange a back haul with one of them that far. Depending where in NY you are, nIN is not too far. Your trailer would need to be in road shape for this, and I'd rather hire one of the retired guys than one of the few younger guys trying to make a living at this low profit camper delivery occupation, who probably run harder to make more money.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I had mine shipped from CA by a nice guy I found on U-Ship that makes the run every couple weeks hauling RV's out west. I would probably try to find someone who can load it on a flat deck trailer or car hauler if at all possible, saves the trailer miles. If no luck with that shoot me a message and I'll get ya his contact number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.