Notices

Tow tune for Duramax?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tow tune for Duramax?

Anyone use a tow tune when pulling? I was thinking of getting a switch to go back to regular tune to tow. Mostly want it to help slow down. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Do you have efi live already? I can email you a tune for it. If not call fleece performance or Idaho rob.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 5 way tune from Idaho rob, was awesome. Left it in the 50HP tow tune all the time, comes with a turbo brake.

http://atptrucks.com
Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, I have a tune from Idaho Rob with a dsp5 switch would recommend
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Registered

I don't have EFI live but I was thinking of the dsp5 just not sure I need all of them. The only thing I can think of is stock tune, tow tune, fuel economy tune, and maybe a light HP tune. Not sure what to do with the 5th. Wouldn't I have to send off my ECM too?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, just find someone with EFI Live and buy them another license to do yours. Way cheaper than buying the unit and it only needs to be flashed once. I think there is a dsp3 switch you can get and just run 3 tunes not sure if its any cheaper though
Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Dsp2, or dsp5. Just get the 2, one tow tune, one hot tune. Remember your trans readapts to power levels and driving style. Not good to keep messing with different tunes. A good tow tune will provide you with good fuel mileage and drive ability. Depending how you drive, what and where you tow a properly written "hot" tune could be used all the time. I've tuned a few dozen and most were a one size fits all. Race, tow, drive, if done right you can have one tune that does all.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a PPE level 1 tune (tow/haul) in my truck with a 4" straight exhaust (no muffler or cat). I tow up to 10,000, plow snow, run heavy with welding equipment, and tow my own and everyone elses boats. I saw a couple extra mpg over stock and a little more giddy up. Ive seen better mpg with the bigger tunes but the pyrometer dosent like them with a load. I run PPE because i got a great deal on it but i beleive there are bennefits to running an EFI live tune from one of the respected tuners such as idaho rob or the moonshiner. Dont run just anyones tunes though, some of these guys are a f**kin joke, do your homework!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Registered

So if I want to keep a stock tune, tow tune and fuel economy tune do I need a dsp3 or 2?

Also what's something like that cost?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You should call ATP trucks (or another good diesel performance shop). I used ATP for all my parts and just finished the install minutes ago. They were great when it come to answering any questions during the install. I went with 4” SS MBRP exhaust, downpipe, EGR block off plate, Edge CTS (for the gauges), EFI Live with 5 custom tunes by Idaho Rob and the DPS-5 switch. My tunes are as follows:

1. Heavy Tow w/turbo brake
2. Medium Tow w/turbo brake
3. Light Tow w/turbo brake
4. 90 HP economy
5. 120 HP (just for fun)

I basically wanted the tow tunes and the turbo brake but also wanted to delete the DPF. Everything shipped to my house was ~$1850. I’m sure they could hook you up with whatever you’re looking for. I haven’t driven the truck yet since it doesn’t go out this time of year but I wanted to get it done before I go for neck surgery this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.