educate me on Sea Strainers

Notices

educate me on Sea Strainers

Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default educate me on Sea Strainers

Hello all,

I have been looking at sea strainers for my Formula 252 with 454. Some of the strainers I have been looking at the Groco ARG Series, Sherwood (plastic not sure about this), then it seems it just to the higher end units Gil, and Teague 5 inch unit.

I am limited with space so of coarse the higher end units are smaller and seem to be a better choice. However, I have been seeing talk regarding pressure valves. Should I be concerned about this? My motor is stock so, I would guess my sea pump is not modified, but not sure if I should be concerned about a pressure switch.

Additionally, on a stock setup are the Sherwood and Groco units any good? I really dont want to break the bank on a sea strainer.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would stay away from anything plastic that's below the waterline. Of the units you mentioned, I would go with the Teague. You don't need a pressure valve.

Do you have freshwater flush on your boat? If not and you're installing a strainer, you should get one that has a flush inlet port. If you don't want to add the flush now, having the port will allow you to do it later and you can just install a plug in that port now.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Registered

Yes I have a closed system with fresh water cooling.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Registered

any particular model?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Priobe
Yes I have a closed system with fresh water cooling.
What I was asking is.. do you have a freshwater flush setup to be able to run fresh water through the raw water cooling system. If you don't, then adding the sea strainer with the port for it is a good idea; much easier to hook up through the strainer.

In either case, if you add the strainer, you will also need to add a ball valve in-line between the strainer and the intake hose coming from your drive and you said space was tight, so keep that in mind too.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Registered

Oh yes, I have a flush its a Perko in line flush system, ( harden plastic)
Here is a link to a pic http://www.westmarine.com/oil-change...1-1-4--6586085.

It looks strong but it has check valve for the fresh water flush and a check valve for cracking pressure on the inlet side to the sea pump.

It seems to work well, but I bought the boat with it. I am on the fence with this unit but have not seen and bad comments regarding it. SO maybe I should change this system out and use a manual valve as you are suggesting.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Oh yes, I have a flush its a Perko in line flush system, ( harden plastic)
Here is a link to a pic http://www.westmarine.com/oil-change...1-1-4--6586085.

It looks strong but it has check valve for the fresh water flush and a check valve for cracking pressure on the inlet side to the sea pump.

It seems to work well, but I bought the boat with it. I am on the fence with this unit but have not seen and bad comments regarding it. SO maybe I should change this system out and use a manual valve as you are suggesting.

Your thoughts?
You will get differing opinions on the perko flush unit. Some people swear by them and I know two people who have had them crack. Personally, I wouldn't want anything plastic below the waterline. If you develop a crack in the fitting end and it gives way while the boat is in the water, that's gonna be ugly.. Just my personal opinion.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the original Groco SA series strainers that came with my Fountain in 1990. Still working fine, and fully serviceable. Not very blingy, but they work
Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been seeing talk regarding pressure valves. Should I be concerned about this? My motor is stock so, I would guess my sea pump is not modified, but not sure if I should be concerned about a pressure switch.

I really dont want to break the bank on a sea strainer.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks
I wouldn't bother if your getting the sea water thru the drive but, If you have a transom or hull mounted pickup I'd consider a pressure relief, the psi spikes more as the boat airs out and comes back into the water. I have a closed cooling HO with a Gil strainer and a transom mounted pickup, when it spikes somewhere over 30psi it'll throw an alarm. I picked up my Gil strainer used for cheap and its mounted above the waterline