91 502 MAG Valve Spring and Lifters >

91 502 MAG Valve Spring and Lifters

Notices

91 502 MAG Valve Spring and Lifters

Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 502 MAG Valve Spring and Lifters

I am in the beginning stages of doing a rebuild on my 91 502 mag motor. I am using very nice parts for the bottom end. I am planning on running the stock heads, intake, and carb for this season. My plan is during the offseason next year is to get a new set of heads, intake, carb, cam, etc to make some good horsepower. This year I am running it as stock to save some money. With that being said what would you guys use as far as replacement valve springs, guide seals, and lifters in a stock configuration. And would you bother replacing the lifters if I am going to replace the cam next year anyways. Like I said this year I am trying to save a few bucks and putting my money in the bottom end for a good foundation next year. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If you're investing a bunch of good money and parts in the shortblock, be careful with what you put on top. The early 502 block, should be a bowtie block. if so, thats a real nice piece to build on. I would hate to see something happen like drop a valve seat on those GM heads, and tear up that block, or something along those lines. If you must reuse what you have, I'd at least go thru the heads properly, as if you were going to run them another 500 hours. Then pull them off after a season and sell them as low hour heads.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the input. My plan is to go through the heads well and check everything necessary to run them another 500 hours. I just want to use the correct parts so I do not mess anything up on the top end.