Notices

CDL question

Old 03-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL question

I live in CT and tow my boat (29' Formula) with my "commercially registered" 2013 F 350 diesel, dually dump. When hooked up I am just over the magic "26K pound weight limit". I don't do any commercial boat towing, or towing outside of CT. Seems I need a "class A" CDL license.....to be legal.

Can someone tell me what is involved in this......who has gone through this. I've been told different things from different CT DMV offices......some say I need a "road test".....some say I don't!

Last edited by JayFan; 03-15-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How much does that truck weigh.
I wouldn't think that your boat and trailer would weigh more than 15,000 LBS?
My truck weighs just over 7,000 LBS and it is Chevy 2500 ext cab long box diesel.
Or is your Formula a cruiser?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Your truck weighs 7,000 but your gvwr is either 8,800 or 9,900
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am at 26,600 lbs. with my truck and boat trailer, DOT goes by GVW rating regardless of what weight you have It registered for. Rules say I need a CDL "A" to drive it legally since the truck is commercially registered. It's a fine line if you use your truck for work and pleasure, fortunately I have an "A"[ATTACH=CONFIG]520363[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520364[/ATTACH] but you're not supposed to be using a commercially registered truck for personal use even if you own the company (go figure). If you have a company name or dot # on your truck you may get hassled. Buy a 50' motorhome and tow a railcar down 95 and you can ride right by the weigh stations? Also if you do get a cdl you will have to do a written test and then a driving test.
Attached Thumbnails CDL question-022.jpg   CDL question-035.jpg  

Last edited by RAPTOR1; 03-15-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

With my class a cdl, had to take a written test then a walk around and then a road test. Since have air brakes had to do the test as well. This was in Texas and sbout 18yrs ago. A friend of mine is getting his and has to do a written and a drive test as well still.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPTOR1
I am at 26,600 lbs. with my truck and boat trailer, DOT goes by GVW rating regardless of what weight you have It registered for. Rules say I need a CDL "A" to drive it legally since the truck is commercially registered. It's a fine line if you use your truck for work and pleasure, fortunately I have an "A"[ATTACH=CONFIG]520363[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520364[/ATTACH] but you're not supposed to be using a commercially registered truck for personal use even if you own the company (go figure). If you have a company name or dot # on your truck you may get hassled. Buy a 50' motorhome and tow a railcar down 95 and you can ride right by the weigh stations? Also if you do get a cdl you will have to do a written test and then a driving test.
In mass any truck over 10,000 gvw has to be registered commercial no matter what the use. Such a pain and cost a fortune hitting tolls!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truck and trailer combined GVW over 26k requires an A license to be legal. Towing any trailer over 10k GVW even if combined GVW is not over 26k requires an A license to be legal. Both situations rely on the registered/titled GVW regardless of what it might weigh on the scales.........so towing most triple axle boat trailers empty behind a regular F350 technically requires an A licensed driver according to federal DOT rules. Seems that they will look the other way most times if you look like "Joe pleasure boater" towing your own stuff but not always. If you are towing with a commercially registered dump truck you're bound to open yourself up to more scrutiny and theyll want you to have a CDL A for sure Id think. Some states do have the option of getting a non-commercial (non CDL) A license and that would relieve you of the CDL requirements like log books, maintenance record keeping, inspections, etc but again probably wont fly towing with a dump truck. Not sure if CT even offers non commercial A licenses? In RI you could get an A license doing the road test with your pickup truck (or 1 ton dump truck) and boat trailer if you want but won't get your air brake endorsement. As far as I know in MA you can't do that but instead need an air brake equipped commercial truck to take the road test. Sorry I don't have the CT info but that'll give you some general CDL A info. Also it seems that CT DOT has been much more aggressive doing random stops lately. We got pulled over for a random DOT inspection two weeks ago on 95 in CT with a dually and empty trailer. Luckily we had our log book current and everything squared away. Just got pinched for reverse lights on the truck and a trailer marker light.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RAPTOR1

I believe you are exactly right. I was stopped by a former CT DOT officer last summer (who now works as a town cop), and he said that because my truck registration is 14K, and my trailer registration is 12,200......that I'm over the "26,000" by roughly 200 lbs.

What the hell do I do my "driving test" with....... do I have to haul my boat an hour away and do a test with that b!itch hooked up???? Lol! I own other trucks and trailers.......but nothing that is over the "26K" when both are hooked up. Only my new dump.....and boat! Figures!

Last edited by JayFan; 03-15-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Registered

Same here in CT Lil Red........ ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by JayFan; 03-15-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered

Thanks Pat.......good info.

I will look into the non commercial (non CDL) A license..........maybe I'll get lucky! Probably not though!!!!!!

One DMV representative told me it's no big deal....... no test needed, no nothing......it was all just paperwork......but for some reason I don't believe her!!! lol! It's NEVER that easy.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.