Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS??? >

What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

Notices

What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

I am looking to buy a bank owned 1998 47' Fountain Lightning but the marine survey mentioned that there are a few spots on the stringers that sound like there might be some rot. So I am having Jeff with Invasion Boat Works (www.invisionboatworks.com) put together a proposal and estimate on the total cost to rip out everything and replace all three stringers in an attempt to get the bank to significantly lower its asking price. Knowing that the surveyor found some questionable spots I am assuming that right off the bat that I would want to replace all three stringers. The ball park pricing I received from Invasion Boat Works using something called Seacast was about $20K out the door for them to do all the work including tearing out all the interior.

Has anyone on this forum owned a 90's 47' Fountain Lightning that needed new stringers and if so what was the process, who did you use and how much did it cost you in the end? Also, is there any real benefit to using Seacast over marine plywood? What is the cost difference between Seacast and Plywood and what would be my cheapest option to replace the stringers?

Thanks for your help in advance!

- Chris
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

I'm no expert by any means but I am currently in the process of replacing my transom and bilge stringers due to rot. The consesus on OSO is to either use newer composites or stick to what has always worked, plywood. If you have the time and have an apt for learning I would say the cheapest route would be for you to do it yourself. With a boat that size you are still going to be well into $3-5k or more in materials depending on how much you have to do. Try as search for "stringer repair" or "transom rot" and you'll be reading for hours and see just how much work needs to be done.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Registered

hi chris where are you located i use to build 50ft cats as for the wood you use i just replaced transom on a friends mako it was bad i would not use marine grade plywood 3/4 in fir is the best its only 70 dollars sheet and as long as you encapsulate it in glass you will never have problem . i would say its about 10-12 grand job if you dont get that boat i know of an 2008 checkmate 30 ft all it needs is motors and drives it was a test boat nice i can get pic let me know and if you need help with that one maybe i can assist dep on your location
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Is it the one with patriotic flag or something like that , advertised on boat trader for 57 k no trailer?

UOTE=chris_dobz;4099486]I am looking to buy a bank owned 1998 47' Fountain Lightning but the marine survey mentioned that there are a few spots on the stringers that sound like there might be some rot. So I am having Jeff with Invasion Boat Works (www.invisionboatworks.com) put together a proposal and estimate on the total cost to rip out everything and replace all three stringers in an attempt to get the bank to significantly lower its asking price. Knowing that the surveyor found some questionable spots I am assuming that right off the bat that I would want to replace all three stringers. The ball park pricing I received from Invasion Boat Works using something called Seacast was about $20K out the door for them to do all the work including tearing out all the interior.

Has anyone on this forum owned a 90's 47' Fountain Lightning that needed new stringers and if so what was the process, who did you use and how much did it cost you in the end? Also, is there any real benefit to using Seacast over marine plywood? What is the cost difference between Seacast and Plywood and what would be my cheapest option to replace the stringers?

- Chris[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I just bought 3.4 marine ply.. only 77 a sheet.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Registered

Thanks Borgie! This is exactly what I wanted to know. I intend to take on this boat as a DIY hobby/project. It needs a lot more work than just the stringers but the stringers were my biggest concern.

To answer your question, yes I have no concerns about Mt abilities to handle a project of this magnitude. I'm an electrical engineer by day and have always been a gear head. However, in order to make this project a success I realize that I will have to make a substantial investment in tools which is yet another I'll need to know before I start but other than that I'm mentally prepared and looking forward to the challenge.

Cheers,
Chris

Originally Posted by Borgie
I'm currently finishing up my first transom/stringer job. To give you an idea as to cost of the plywood, it's about $100-120 for 1 sheet of quality marine grade plywood. By the time I'm done, I pretty much used every bit of two full sheets. Also, if you chose to use 3M corebond to bed the new stringers and transom vs traditional less effective methods. I ended up using 6 gallons of vinyl ester and 18-20 yards of 1708. I used the corebond to not only bed, but to fillet. On the recommendation of glassdave, I also decided to use West System 404 adhesive filled to bond the ends of the stringers to the forward bilge section and back to the transom.

I will say this, it's not something outside the reach of many DIY types. Granted its likely not going to be pretty and as balanced as a professionals like Dave, however, if you do your homework and purchase the right supplies and tools needed, it will turn out STRONG, and that's what counts. If you plan to keep the boat, then I don't see anything wrong with doing this work yourself. The removal of the old structures and grinding is arduous, but the actual layup process is quite a bit of fun.

I wouldn't use Seacast unless you had to. Plywood is very strong and lightweight. Materials like seacast are not. People have used it with success, and I'm not bashing it, however it's not cost effective and personally plywood is hard to beat in the strength vs weight dept. Do you have the ability to take this job on?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Yeppers

Originally Posted by jeff32
Is it the one with patriotic flag or something like that , advertised on boat trader for 57 k no trailer?

UOTE=chris_dobz;4099486]I am looking to buy a bank owned 1998 47' Fountain Lightning but the marine survey mentioned that there are a few spots on the stringers that sound like there might be some rot. So I am having Jeff with Invasion Boat Works (www.invisionboatworks.com) put together a proposal and estimate on the total cost to rip out everything and replace all three stringers in an attempt to get the bank to significantly lower its asking price. Knowing that the surveyor found some questionable spots I am assuming that right off the bat that I would want to replace all three stringers. The ball park pricing I received from Invasion Boat Works using something called Seacast was about $20K out the door for them to do all the work including tearing out all the interior.

- Chris
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a suvayor to the boat and have him check it out..the glass could just be pulled away from the stringer or their might just be a few air bubbles in the glass..or drill into the hollow areas and se if the drill goes in real easy..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Registered

Hi Fixx,

I am getting another survey done on Friday.

Originally Posted by FIXX
get a suvayor to the boat and have him check it out..the glass could just be pulled away from the stringer or their might just be a few air bubbles in the glass..or drill into the hollow areas and se if the drill goes in real easy..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

this one was seriously on my list!!
keep us updated!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.