What coupler for 600+hp >

What coupler for 600+hp

Notices

What coupler for 600+hp

Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What coupler for 600+hp

Hi guys. I have searched and did not find the answer I needed so I am asking here. I have been calling around and well it I get many different answers on what coupler I should put on my boat. I just rebuilt my motor its a bbc with 600+hp and 640tq. Not anything nasty but more then stock. I have a bravo 1 drive for now and there is nothing wrong with the old coupler but it is 20 years of age. I figure start new. Here is the question. What one? I have been told aluminum is for high hp. Then the next place I call said oh no you need the steel one. The next guy said you need the one with the pecker sticking out. What will work and last for me. I have a light stepped hull what is always on plane and does not see much air time on this little lake. I put a magnet to mine now and it does not stick so it is a aluminum one from 94 it think. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Sorry if this has been covered but I could not find the thread if it was.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Registered

i have always just run the stock bravo 1 coupler (non HD) just keep the splines greased or they will sharpen to a point... then you know it's time to replace

28' nordic heat w/ 150 ish hours @ 600-650HP. my coupler is stock and the boat is a 2000.

i was going to upgrade to the HD one but decided not to based on advice given from a couple of reputable builders on OSO.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Thanks nedpoole. Kinda the route I was thinking. To be honest my old one is not sharp at all but just old. I hope some more people will chim in here soon. I like lots of different views on itl Thanks for posting.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you can get the aluminum hd any more, it looks the same but it is steel. You may be able to order it, but it will supercede to the steel one. The aluminum one can sometimes screw up checking alignment, either the splines are deformed and the shaft will not go in easily, or it is worn too loose making it harder to determine how close the alignment is.
The long tube version is to hold in the grease so it doesn't spray around. The short ones, aluminum and steel, are that way to work with driveline adapter hardware, but they still work with standard installations, just a little messier after grease sprays off of the shaft.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:30 AM
Registered

Well their is a seller here on oso selling aluminum ones said there better then the steel ones. He is listed in the forsale engine parts section. Grease does not bother me one bit as I can reach back there and clean it before I spin it up. I will look into the steel ones.