A voice from the Past !

Notices

A voice from the Past !

Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A voice from the Past !

I received this email from Charlie Marks - most of us remember him well, in his 4 engine Cougar superboat. Its always wonderful
to hear from friends that were part of our lives when Offshore Racing was Offshore Racing -

Charlie truely was a class act - a great credit to the sport of Offshore Racing back in the day ! As he states, it was a team effort, Pilots,
Narration, and my small part of pointing the camera -and editing !

Phil while surfing the Internet I landed on an article about you. I deeply sorry about you illness and pray
for your speedy recover. I'll never forget my introduction to the Key West World Championship, when the APBA
refuse to let me race because of the three race rule. You were the only one in all of Key West who went up against
the APBA in my behalf. The end result was they allowed me to race the first race but insisted that Chris Lavin had to be present
for the last two races. Chris had let me use his Boat number from The Jessie James which was quite legal, but that was found to be non-acceptable. So much for bucking the system. I will always remember that day . You were not only a stand up guy but also to me, became a friend for life. I enjoyed the coverage and the team you had at NNRT. Rich Luhrs was without a doubt the best flying
commentator in the sport and you and your pilot always seemed to be at the right place at the right time to capture some of the most daring and dramatic racing ever. Kathy, while quite beautiful, was ever bit as knowledgeable as any one on the circuit. What a hellva team you had.
I had your total collection of my brief but exciting race career for 1989-1990, but unfortunately it was lost in a move. What a shame.

The old saying "You can't pick your parents but you can pick your friends", rings very true for me because I can truly state
"I consider my self damn lucky to have you as a friend.

May God Speed your recovery

Charlie Marks Owner-Driver of Eric's Reality Race Boat
Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil,

It is always great to hear back from old friends that you have not heard from in so many years. Some People never forget their friends.
I hope you are feeling and doing much better.
Speedy Recovery

Was Walt M. you pilot back then?
I heard he was pretty wild flying for you back then.

thank you
Jim
Old 04-26-2014, 04:35 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Hello Jim, Thanks for your words, am much better thanks to modern medicine ! Yes, Walt was our Pilot, he did many races with us, even in 1986 at the worlds in Auckland New Zealand ! He was a Vietnam vet Helicopter
Pilot, and had great skills - It was a joy to work with him, Richie, Kathy Latham and others ! They are the people that made NNRT what it became, and thanks to our customers for believing in our work as well !

Last edited by Phil M; 04-26-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phil M
Hello Jim, Thanks for your words, am much better thanks to modern medicine ! Yes, Walt was our Pilot, he did many races with us, even in 1986 at the worlds in Auckland New Zealand ! He was a Vietnam vet Helicopter
Pilot, and had great skills - It was a joy to work with him, Richie, Kathy Latham and others ! They are the people that made NNRT what it became, and thanks to our customers for believing in our work as well !
Hello Phil,
Thank you ,Its great to hear you are doing better and feeling much better.
I worked with Walt at Interdata/Perkin Elmer in Oceanport NJ back in the 70s and early 80s, I knew him very well back then. Walt was a Test Manager for them.. Walt was so mild manner you would never think of him as helicopter pilot in Viet Nam or even afterwards. I believe he flew the Medical helicopters which was pretty dangerous as you had no real firepower compared to the gun ships and they like to shoot down the Medical Helicopters.
We were talking one day about the Races at the Kings Grant inn and NJ and he told me he was your pilot and flying all over the place with you to the races.

Small World.. Not sure what ever happened to him. Been a long time
Keep Well,
Thank you
jim
Old 04-27-2014, 06:06 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Yes, Walt was really nice- very quiet, mild mannered, and loyal too - I remember many times others would tell me what to film next, or where to go, he would say- Where too Boss ! - he would always want my approval of
what others wanted to do. He was cautious too - never took chances, we really enjoyed working together and I miss him too - we have lost track with him ! Now, Jim, I know your connection as I always wondered how, why, when, where you knew about me and Walt - I remember us going to New Zealand in 1986 - a long trip - and Rocky Aoki was on the flight home - he was not upgraded to business class where we flew, I offered him my seat, but he refused, saying Continental Airlines will hear from him ! he had millions of FF miles too - Small world - think it was Concurent Computer that Walt worked at for a while too - in Oceanport !

Be well Jim - thanks for bringing back memories too !

Phil
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phil M
Yes, Walt was really nice- very quiet, mild mannered, and loyal too - I remember many times others would tell me what to film next, or where to go, he would say- Where too Boss ! - he would always want my approval of
what others wanted to do. He was cautious too - never took chances, we really enjoyed working together and I miss him too - we have lost track with him ! Now, Jim, I know your connection as I always wondered how, why, when, where you knew about me and Walt - I remember us going to New Zealand in 1986 - a long trip - and Rocky Aoki was on the flight home - he was not upgraded to business class where we flew, I offered him my seat, but he refused, saying Continental Airlines will hear from him ! he had millions of FF miles too - Small world - think it was Concurent Computer that Walt worked at for a while too - in Oceanport !

Be well Jim - thanks for bringing back memories too !

Phil
Phil,,

Yes to all the things you said about Walt, he was a gentleman Yes, Interdata/Perkin Elmer did became Concurent Computer before it was gone. I left there in 1982 and moved to New England before the change happened. it was a great place to work with a lot of wonderful people there
Thank you
jim
Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, glad to hear your on the mend
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Thanks Butch - hope all is well for you as well !