Coil on Plug

Notices

Coil on Plug

Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil on Plug

Hi All,

I have been working on my 598 supercharged build for some time now. It has changed direction more times than I can count. I have now decided to get rid of the problematic MSD distributor and go to Coil on Plug. I will be using a MEFI4B ECM and AEM smart coils. After talking with Bob at OBD diagnostics I decided to go with a 60-2 (58X) crank trigger set up and fire it like an LS.

There are two directions I can go with this, either use only the crank trigger and batch fire the ignition or build a 4x cam trigger inside my current distributor to fire each cylinder individually. So here is my question, I am aware of several of the pros of firing the cylinder individually but wanted to put it out there to see if I missed anything. Do you guys feel I will gain much more performance in having the cam signal?

Let me know if you'd like any more info on the build?

Jason
Old 04-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine that Eddie Young built have the cam sensor in the distributors. I remember him saying that it could be done without the signal but better with it somewhat. I can not remember the reason why. Give him a call, he will be happy to help you out. It is nice to have dual knock sensors and no MSD.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if you are running a 4x cam sync or 1x? There's a big difference. The 1x goes along with the 24x and 4x goes with the 58x. I'll post some pics of my distributor build later this week. Most guys are useing a 1x cam sync, very few use the 4x since it is a little more complicated to set up. The reason I was asking the masses on their opinion about the pros versus cons was just in case I couldn't get this to work as I expect I may have to revert back to batch fire with no cam sync. I do understand a great deal about the system and it's differences just was wondering if I might of been missing something.