Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replace silent choice on my scarab? or keep replacing seals? >

Replace silent choice on my scarab? or keep replacing seals?

Notices

Replace silent choice on my scarab? or keep replacing seals?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace silent choice on my scarab? or keep replacing seals?

I keep having an issue with my scarab where the seals blow out of the side of the exhaust. Now I've got water actually shooting onto my distributor. This we think is a problem for me all of a sudden loosing power. Have trouble getting the motor to pull over 4k RPM's. Now do i keep replacing the seal? or do i look at changing this up completely? i like the silent choice if we go into a marina late or some times its not bad to quiet the boat down when we are trying to dock and I'm barking orders at my helping hands (my wife always knows what to do, its the others!).
so any recommendations? right now the motor is a 502, light build with about 40 hours on it.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you look down your Y pipe to see if there are old pieces of your Y pipe rubber flappers stuck down there. I was having a similar problem with mine until I realized that my exhaust was flooding because the water couldn't get out of the bottom of the Y pipe.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Registered

i should pull it apart and look. I did over heat the boat at the begging of last season due to the impeller exploding last spring. Maybe that will help
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never heard of that. I ran SC on my boat for 12 years and never had a problem with them. Had a little bit of dirt get under the relief valve one time. A little compressed air, and good as new.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using it in quiet mode (thru prop) over 3500 rpms?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

I run i mostly open. Only time I put it thru prop is if we are trying to dock.

I pulled my starboard side apart last night and found a couple things. The flapper down by the Y is broken and gone. The valve to block off the through hull, the plate was really loose. It looks like the shaft has actually oblonged out the hole. I haven't pulled the port side apart.

I think i want to find new exhaust, if it was just me Id just straight pipe it but my wife wants the ability to quiet it down if we are docking.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Registered

think I'm going to order Hardin diverters to match my risers off my manifolds
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might suggest Gibson Turn Down's, no moving parts to fail, it is quiet at idle speeds automatically, as you climb onto plane it clears the water and you get the nice sound.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

I thought about just going straight with it, but i ended up ordering the pair of diverters from Hardin… should have them next week and the boat goes in for fiberglass repair next week. Hopefully be back up and running by next weekend.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Replacing seals - do you mean exhaust hose or exhaust tubes ? Do you have stock Mercruiser exhaust and risers ? if yes to both questions, I most likely know your problem(s). Before explaining all of this make sure you do not have any exhaust/ water outlet restrictions - even with the exhaust manifolds & risers. Make sure your water ports are free and clear. There is more but really need to know what you have.

If you mean your exhaust hose or exhaust tubes look on the inside to make sure you are not blistering them from heat in return tears them open from the inside out..

Last edited by BUP; 06-19-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.