Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Oil Overfull (Due to extended high RPM runs) >

Engine Oil Overfull (Due to extended high RPM runs)

Notices

Engine Oil Overfull (Due to extended high RPM runs)

Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Engine Oil Overfull (Due to extended high RPM runs)

What is a safe amount to overfill your engine oil? Its proven that the 496 HO, 454 Mag MPI, 502 Mag MPI and several others will run themselves dry (or close to it) with high volume aftermarket oil pumps. What is the safe overfill amount? I am running 1/2 to 1 quart overfull and thats great for 4500 to 5500 RPM runs but what about cruise, is enough oil supported to stay out of the windage tray?

Just curious...
Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith, I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but what I gather from reading about oil control issues is that overfilling the crankcase can be self defeating if you end up with windage issues and oil "roping" around the crank. When it gets whipped into foam by the crank those air bubbles get sucked right into your bearings. I had a thread on here a couple weeks ago that discussed oil drainback issues at length, because I ran screens in my lifter valley with a high volume pump and stock 8-quart pan (didn't know any better at the time). Also, my AFR heads have much smaller drainback holes than the stock ones. I was very concerned about oil starvation for a while. That being said, I dyno'ed the engine this week, and at one point we held it under load at higher RPM for several minutes, and there did not appear to be oil starvation issues that we could see. Oil pressure and temps held pretty steady. Now I don't know what might happen if I ran it at WOT for ten minutes, but I don't run that way anyway.

I'm not sure how you run your boat, but at cruise speed I would think you will be fine, and even the occasional WOT blast across the lake for a few minutes will probably be OK, unless you have a more serious issue.

What weight oil are you running in it?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am unfamiliar with those issues on those engines. However, on my engines with Canton offshore pans, I run the oil level 1 qt low, to prevent any aeration or increased drag.

I recently was reading a build on another forum where a guy was building a blower engine very similar to mine. After all was said and tuned on the dyno, he removed 1 quart of oil from the crankcase. He picked up 27HP on the next pull.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I am unfamiliar with those issues on those engines. However, on my engines with Canton offshore pans, I run the oil level 1 qt low, to prevent any aeration or increased drag.

I recently was reading a build on another forum where a guy was building a blower engine very similar to mine. After all was said and tuned on the dyno, he removed 1 quart of oil from the crankcase. He picked up 27HP on the next pull.
and that is why a dry sump oil sysrem is used in serioud racing,less oil for the rotating mass to hit =more crankshaft power.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

WTF cant win for losing. If there is too much you lose HP if there isnt enough you starve the main bearings...
Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

I have been spinning my 454's with the stock 8 quart pans to 6500 for years. Filled to the full line on the dipsticks and to a quart low. I have larger coolers then my hp level and never had an issue. 5 mins at a time.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I have been spinning my 454's with the stock 8 quart pans to 6500 for years. Filled to the full line on the dipsticks and to a quart low. I have larger coolers then my hp level and never had an issue. 5 mins at a time.
Rookie, are you running a high volume or standard oil pump? What weight oil?
Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

M77hv and a 778c high volume
Old 05-31-2014, 01:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
What is a safe amount to overfill your engine oil? Its proven that the 496 HO, 454 Mag MPI, 502 Mag MPI and several others will run themselves dry (or close to it) with high volume aftermarket oil pumps. What is the safe overfill amount? I am running 1/2 to 1 quart overfull and thats great for 4500 to 5500 RPM runs but what about cruise, is enough oil supported to stay out of the windage tray?

Just curious...
Pump your pan dry is bad.

Aerating your oil is bad. Crank windage not only causes hp loss, but heh, screw the hp loss, we should worry more about the air introduced.

So....why answer which is better ? Crazy to.

Here's the real answer:

If you run a HV oil pump you run a larger capacity system. 9-10+ quarts would be good.

If you want to keep a stock 6 quart or smaller pan, then keep the standard volume pump.

Those are the correct answers.

Last edited by SB; 05-31-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Interesting to hear from some of the builders out there, because I have always heard running em dry. Then I read this one time, straight from Melling, point number 2. http://www.mellingselectperformance....lume-pumps.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.