330hp to 350hp vortec 454 >

330hp to 350hp vortec 454

Notices

330hp to 350hp vortec 454

Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330hp to 350hp vortec 454

Nasty rod knock developed over last weekend. Tore it down found the crank is trashed,block is already bored .40 over so I don't want to put any money into a beat block so I went with a 350hp vortec motor. Now I'm wondering what, if any problems will I run into rigging the 350hp long block with all my 330hp non vortec motor accessories. Anyone done this swap? Off the top of my head all I can think is new intake possibly bigger carb??

I've re read my post and realized it doesn't make much sense. Basically I'm going from the gen 5 330hp non vortec 454 to the gen 6 350hp vortec 454. Long block only. I'm wondering if all the brackets and accessories are just a bolt on affair or if other parts will be needed?

Last edited by Novaspd; 06-01-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Registered

Edit
Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the engine you are installing an automitive or truck engine, or is it marine? All of the accessories like circ pump, alt, seawater pump, starter, etc. should swap over from your old engine. Intake and carb should swap over fine as well. The main thing you need to watch out for is the oil bypass valve that is installed in the filter pad on Gen VI engines. Car and truck applications usually got an 11 lb bypass, and this needs to be replaced with a 30 lb bypass for a boat engine due to the extra pressure generated by the remote oil filter and oil cooler. Leave the original bypass in there and you will bypass your filter and cooler and send hot dirty oil through your bearings, and you will be on here talking about your next engine. Do a search on this forum for "oil bypass" and you will turn up some threads that discuss this and list the part number you will need.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, a lot of useful info there. The long block is from advanced marine out of Casper, Wyoming. It's just advertised as 96+ vortec 454. Being from a marine rebuilder id hope they would have the proper by pass installed. I'll do some research and find out how to check it tho. Anyone had any experience with this engine rebuilder???